Lilypie

Friday, July 6, 2012

Departure Drama!

I took the bus to Kuala Lumpur around midnight on 5 July. My dad dropped me off at the venue to take the bus, and I collected my ticket at the counter. Unfortunately, the bus was not there but two buildings down. It was raining heavily, there was no shelter and I had to lug my trolley bag, backpack and a big paper bag containing my gowns to the building where the bus would depart. Needless to say, I was caught in the rain and drenched by the time we need to board the bus.

Furthermore, the bus was parked a little away from the place, so I had to walk further in the rain. No one bothered to help me load my luggage, so I had to squeeze my luggage into the compartment somehow (in the pouring rain) and went up the bus. I was wet and it was freezing!

Since it was a night bus and a very wet night, the driver dimmed the lights and turned down the airconditioning for the passengers to sleep properly and not feel so cold. The seats on the bus are pretty comfortable and we can adjust the seats accordingly to a reclining position. The only times we got off the bus was around the two checkpoints linking the two countries together.

Once we have passed the checkpoint in Johor Bahru, it was an express journey to Kuala Lumpur. I was snoozing away, when suddenly, I heard something and the bus jerked to a stop. I suspect it was a tyre bursting. The bus just stalled in the middle of nowhere, and all I could see around me was darkness since there were hardly any street lights, and I suspected we were in a forested area.

Obviously I got a little worried. After all the horror stories I heard about the encounters of Malaysian drivers, how can I not be worried? Furthermore, I have no idea where the driver went to as the rest were still snoring away, and the bus was very quiet. Maybe he went to get help on foot, or perhaps he was also in his seat waiting for help. I am not sure if he even signalled for help.

We were stalled there for about four hours. I remember it was about past two in the morning when the bus stalled. I was drifting in and out of sleep. It was only past six in the morning when I heard something being done, perhaps to the tyres or perhaps to the engine. Whatever it was, the four hours of silence and being stuck somewhere was not a comfortable feeling for me.

Finally the bus went on its way again around seven in the morning. By the time we entered the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, it was already past eight. The sky was bright and traffic was heavy. The bus driver made a stop at a petrol station for a while, then went on his way again. From that part, I could see the Petronas twin towers in the distance, but it seemed forever to be able to reach Kuala Lumpur.

I was starting to panic, as I had a flight due at eleven at the airport, and I still needed to catch a shuttle there from KL Sentral. Furthermore, if I had to take a cab down, I was worried about my money ration since I calculated just enough to get me by through the long trip.

The bus finally reached Berjaya Times Square around half-past nine. I took my luggage and went to the taxi counter, but it was closed hence could not buy a coupon. One taxi driver saw me and asked if I was going to the airport, to which I nodded in the affirmative. For some reason, he presumed I was going to the domestic airport, so quoted me RM90.00 for the whole trip, which I thought was exorbitant, but since I was in a hurry, I had no choice but to accept.

This is the first time I was all alone in Kuala Lumpur, so I had no idea where the airport was. Being the simple minded me, I thought the airport was only half an hour away. So when the cab driver made turn after turn and brought me to some deserted area after an hour, I started to panic. When I told my friend, she told me the airport is quite far away and would take an hour's journey at least. So I heaved a sigh of relief.

True enough, shortly after that, I reached the domestic airport around ten. The taxi driver was true to his word, he really charged me RM90.00, not a cent more. He was helpful enough to help carry my luggage out onto a trolley too.

However, when I entered the airport, I started to worry again, as the whole place was swarmed and messy, with no proper instructions on where I should go. I just followed the crowd and went to scan my luggage, before checking in my luggage at the counter. I had already bought a boarding pass prior to the trip, so that cut the time down.

Unfortunately, my luggage exceeded by five kilograms, and I was charged RM125.00 for the extra baggage. I was already running late for the flight, so I had no choice but to pay the amount, and getting immensely worried about my money ration. Still, I had no time to worry about that and had to quickly enter the departure hall as it was time to board the flight.

When I entered the departure hall, I had to walk another open air stretch to the middle of the runway and walk up the stairs of the plane just to get into the plane. It was the first time I did this as every time when I travel, the plane would always be at the "doorstep" and I could enter the plane easily and smoothly.

I was in a flustered state when I entered the plane, and could only heave a sigh of relief when I was finally seated and the plane took off to Miri. What an experience indeed, but well, if one does not experience anything, then one's travels would be pretty boring indeed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...