Lilypie

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Fairview Kuching

A few months back, when I was sourcing for where to stay in Kuching, I hardly knew where to begin. The hotels around the waterfront and the main city area all seem rather pricey. Essentially, I like a cosy place that is not too far off and provides services like transfers, breakfast and tours. So I came across this. One look at the website and what the place looks like, I made up my mind immediately.

What attracted me to this place is the colonial-style house and nice rooms. I have this irrational passion for colonial stuff, so this really suits me fine! Furthermore, it is in close proximity to the waterfront, Sunday market, and a Catholic cathedral just behind! The owners also provide airport transfers and organise tours too.

What really got me excited is that I booked a single ensuite room for five nights during the Rainforest World Music Festival period, and it cost only RM350 in all, equivalent to S$150.00 for five nights, or S$30.00 per night! Where else can you get this kind of rate, especially in a colonial bungalow with a big garden, and a single ensuite room? Furthermore, the replies to my emails and enquiry are prompt and precise.

So I arranged my accommodation there, with airport transfer. The lady who runs the guesthouse is so nice! Because she picked three of us up from the airport, she charged me only RM10.00 for airport transfer, rather than the RM26.00 per person, as she said the cost can be split between three of us. She even gave me tips on where to go and how to explore the waterfront. Furthermore, she let me share a room with another solo female traveller, so my overall rate for the room is cheaper and I have a companion to go on some of the tours with! What can be a better deal than this?

The only downside is that no free breakfast is provided. If we want breakfast, we have to request, and it cost RM8.00 per person. But the good thing is that, you can specify the time and type of breakfast you want, and she will cook it for you personally at whatever time. So the personalised service accounts for a lot. Bottled mineral water is also for sale at RM2.00 per litre, which can last for one to two days.

She also tried to put me on tours with the other guests, but if that was not possible, she got her friend to personally bring me around, so for two days, I went on a personalised tour to the sights of Kuching! For every personalised tour, it is RM200.00 for the day, not including entrance fees (if any). However, if you account for the fact that you are being personally chauffeured around with a native local, seeing the beautiful scenery passing by and going for the excursion at your own time and pace, the rate is actually very reasonable as compared to the other package tours I have come across.

The lady also arranged transport to bring me (and some others) to the Rainforest World Music Festival, which is around an hour's drive away from Kuching, at a cheaper rate than other shuttles. So the van came to the guesthouse to pick us up, and I need not walk all the way to whichever hotel nearby to take the shuttle.

So I really have a great time in Kuching, and if I ever make a trip down again, I will sure stay at The Fairview again because of the very reasonable rates, cosy rooms and personalised services! To top it off, there is even a friendly family dog to greet the guests! What more can I ask for? To those of you who wishes to go to Kuching, look no further than The Fairview Guesthouse to stay in!

To give an idea of what I am raving so much about, these are the photos of the guesthouse, rooms and garden. Do you not think the place is really nice?

The facade of the guesthouse
The back of the house where my room was for two nights

The long driveway leading to the house



My room for the first two nights was in the second door


The gardens of the house






More rooms are in this extension
The window is the common area




The main living room and reception counter. Luggages can also be stored here too.

The dining area
Stairs leading to the rooms upstairs


The common room of the house

My room for the first night. Notice the bedsheets, which were to my liking? The door next to it is the bathroom.


Remember these flowers? They were my bouquet for my friend's wedding which I was going to bring home with me. I was holding the flowers all the way and the lady kindly gave me a vase to put them in. Hence there was originally no vase in the room, I brought it in after putting the flowers in.
The dining area
Statues like these are in the hall and stairway of the second storey

The living room of the second storey
There are statues of Mary, Jesus and a cross on the second storey






The bedroom I share with my travel mate for the last three nights in Kuching

Peacock display above the window of the second bedroom
This is the wardrobe cum safe of the second bedroom

I like this lamp!
The friendly family dog which I keep patting and playing with

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...