Lilypie

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Exploring Kuala Lumpur

Finally I am back from my long trip to Sarawak, where I dropped by Kuala Lumpur for a couple of days, and met up with fellow blogger Julie Lim. All thanks to her, I had a field day exploring the sights of Kuala Lumpur, especially the famous Petronas Twin Towers!

Going to Kuala Lumpur is a welcome change, as after having been stuck in the jungle, I could not wait to get back to civilisation! Unfortunately, the flight to Kuala Lumpur from Miri was late, and by the time I reached the domestic airport in Kuala Lumpur, it was two hours later than what was originally scheduled. To top it off, there was a massive jam from the airport all the way to KL Sentral, where the shuttle bus dropped me. I was supposed to check in at my accommodation around five, but by the time I arrived, it was close to eight.

I was supposed to meet the KL Choicers for dinner, but since I arrived late and was uncontactable by phone, they called my hotel and picked me up from KL Sentral where they treated me to a very delicious seafood dinner at Klang! I felt so welcomed and honoured!

The next day, I met up with Julie where we went for lunch at Pavilion Mall, then embarked on our walking tour of Kuala Lumpur. First she brought me to see the twin towers, then we went to Petaling Street, Central Market, birthplace of Kuala Lumpur, then past a small hill to St John's Cathedral where we attended mass, and finally ended up with dinner at Hard Rock Cafe.

 The buildings surrounding the park in front of the twin towers

The park in front of the twin towers


 One twin tower ...

Two twin tower ...
 
 And the iconic twin towers!

 Old Railway Station of Kuala Lumpur

 I kind of like these grafitti! Very artistic!





 Petaling Street, the Chinatown

Actually Petaling Street reminds me of my own Chinatown. The layout is about the same, and there are also many stalls selling products for tourists. However, Petaling Street has a very soothing drink that tastes like water chestnut or longan called mata kuching. Directly opposite Petaling Street is a very famous coffee shop selling beef noodles and the biggest bun I have ever seen.

 Central Market

It was the first day of Ramadan, so there were people distributing packets of porridge to everyone in the late afternoon near Central Market. Unfortunately since I had to leave, I did not have the chance to taste the porridge.

 Old shophouses near Petaling Street

 This fountain is near the birthplace of Kuala Lumpur




 The layout of this stretch reminds me of our City Hall and Padang


For some reason the day I was there, the roads were cordoned off, hence there was hardly anybody around.




 The KL Tower

 St John's Cathedral where we attended mass

 Interior of St John's Cathedral

I had a great day meeting up with Julie and learning more about Kuala Lumpur. Despite our countries being next to each other, I have never actually been to Kuala Lumpur as most of the time, my parents would bring me to other places like Genting Highlands, Cameron Highlands, Fraser's Hill, Malacca, even Penang, but never in Kuala Lumpur itself. 

So this was the first time I was actually in Kuala Lumpur, and it was really an unforgettable experience as I got to see quite a number of sights. Thanks to all these memories that made my trip so unforgettable!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...