Lilypie

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Of Long-Distance Bus Rides ...

When I told my family and friends how I would be going to Malaysia, my friends in particular told me, "Why so troublesome? Why not just take a plane straight there?" Of course, if I am to take a plane direct to Kuala Lumpur and back, it really cut the hassle as the plane would bring me directly to the airport, and I need not need to scramble to the airport by shuttle bus. Besides time spent on the road would be cut down as the plane ride would take less than an hour.

However, a plane ticket cost twice as much as a bus ticket. Of course another alternative would be to take a train, but ever since the beautiful. albeit run-down Tanjong Pagar Railway Station closed down, it became a hassle getting to the railway station at Woodlands because we need to take the subway, then bus, go past a military area, and then enter the railway station near the causeway. It became more troublesome getting to the railway station as compared to a bus station, where there are many buses to Malaysia scattered at different parts of the island.

Hence I decided to take a bus. Even though it takes five hours or so to reach Kuala Lumpur, the low rates and the scenery along the way make up for it. I like to see the scenery going past me whenever I travel, and taking a bus is just right. Besides with so many people going back and forth from the causeway, the buses here are very comfortable, with soft cushioned seats and cosy airconditioning, otherwise they would not be able to meet up with the demands of our locals here. :-P

So I booked a return bus journey to Kuala Lumpur and back. Since I was due in Miri on Thursday 5 July, and my flight was at eleven in the morning, I decided to take a night bus the day before. Travelling at night simply saves time and money. We get to sleep on the bus so we do not incur an extra night's accommodation, and we reach our destination bright and early the following day, just nice to start exploring. If I can, I try to travel at night as much as possible.

The bus is even more comfortable than I thought. In fact, compared to the narrow seats some airlines have, the seats on the bus is bigger, wider and gives more legroom. Along the way, the bus will stop for a break, for people to stretch their legs or go to the washroom.

Despite the departure drama I had en route to Malaysia, the return journey was pretty smooth-sailing. Because I took the morning bus when I returned as I did not wish to go back so late at night, I could see the countryside sailing past me while on the bus. The only time there was a delay was when we reached the checkpoint at Tuas and there was a massive queue, as everyone seemed to be coming in at the same time. Since I am a citizen, I just scanned my thumbprint and sailed past the rest who were waiting to get their passports stamped.

The journey was supposed to take five hours, but the whole journey took about six hours due to the waiting time. That is what taking a long distance bus is all about, one need to be prepared to be on the road for quite some time, and to some, they may experience a numb back at the end of the trip. But taking into account the money saved and a great way to see the country, I would still choose to take a long-distance bus ride over a plane ride anytime!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...