Lilypie

Thursday, September 27, 2012

New South Wales - Guided Or Self?

Since I will be going down under to see my brother and my relatives, I thought of touring around at the same time. Each time I had been to Sydney (and that is only twice, once for a family trip when I was eleven and the other for my cousin's wedding ten years back), I was mostly with my relatives so did not get to actually travel around, even though they brought us to Queen Victoria Building, Opera House, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Manly Beach, Olympic Stadium and part of the Blue Mountains. Otherwise I did not get to know Sydney as we did not really travel around.

So this time round, I wanted to travel around a bit more since I would be there. My parents have been there a few times ever since my brother went to Canberra to study, my other relatives have also been there many times ever since my cousin married and moved to Sydney, and even my maternal grandmother have been there twice, but I have never actually gone there on my own. Which is why I am taking the opportunity to wander around Sydney and getting to know the place.

When I was researching on what Sydney offers, the main things I wanted is to have a Sydney harbour cruise, Sydney sights and beaches, Blue Mountains trip, climbing the Harbour Bridge and attend an event at the Opera House. 

I shortlisted three tour operators. First, a cruise that will bring me to Sydney harbour, the penal colony at Goat Island and Fort Denison, as well as the seaside mansions of Sydney's eastern suburbs. Second, a day trip that brings me to all that Sydney can offer, and third, a Blue Mountains day trip that covers a wildlife park, Blue Mountains and Three Sisters, Skyway ride, and passing via Sydney Olympic Park and a river cruise on the way back.

Then my uncle told me about whale migration that occurs only from May to October each year. Since I would be going in October, he told me not to miss the whale cruise as this would probably be the one and only time I actually get to see a whale! So I decided to register for that too.

Then I made a comparison. Since I have already registered for the whale cruise which will depart from Sydney harbour anyway, I need not register for the other harbour cruise. The whale cruise cost me A$79 and the harbour cruise (including lunch) would cost me A$89. A$10 saved, and for a country whose currency is stronger than mine, that is quite a bit saved.

The Sydney sights tour will cover the whole business area, eastern suburbs, Manly Beach, Bondi Beach, Hyde Park, The Rocks, Opera House, Sydney Tower and whatnot for A$99 (and that is already the cheapest around). However, all these areas can be easily accessed by public transport, and I must say, Sydney has one of the best public transport systems in the world. All I need to do is to buy a weekly pass for A$51 and I can travel on the train, light rail, bus and ferry anytime and any day unlimited for the week! So this already saves A$44. Besides, I have already bought a ticket to watch an opera at the Opera House, so I can see that for myself.

As for the Blue Mountains tour, the package is A$155, including the Wildlife Park, Skyway and Cableway rides, lunch, Olympic Park and ferry back to Circular Quay. However, the Wildlife Park, Blue Mountains and Olympic Park is easily accessible by train, so if I go on my own, I only need to pay A$27 for the Wildlife Park, and A$62 for the Blue Mountains Explorer bus, where I can take the bus round Blue Mountains and get off at any attraction I fancy. Olympic Park is free, and if I top up another A$10, I get the weekly pass that covers the Blue Mountains region too! So it is another savings of at least A$66!

Besides, I may meet up with the nice Australian family who helped me out when I was in Mulu. They live about an hour away from Sydney, and the last I checked, the A$61 weekly pass covers their area. So buying the weekly pass is really worth it and cost-savings, than if I am to pay individual fare on every public transport!

Regarding the harbour bridge climb, there are climb packages that bring you directly to the top of the harbour bridge. But these cost at least A$198.00 depending on the pace, type and time of the day one makes the climb. However, there is a Pylon Lookout at the Harbour Bridge, where you also need to climb to the top to see. Although not the actual bridge climb, the view would still be spectacular, and you get to move from one end to the other end of the bridge. Pricing? A$18.50 to go up. Calculate how much you can save.

So with the same itinerary, here is the breakdown :

Weekly pass for public transport, including all regions for trains, light rail, buses and ferries - A$61.00
Entrance to Sydney Tower - A$18.20 (40% discount if one books online)
Opera ticket at Opera House - A$65.00
Madame Tussaud's Sydney and Sydney Aquarium - A$49.50 (40% discount if we buy combo tickets online)
Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout - A$18.50
Whale Watching Cruise - A$79.00
Featherdale Wildlife Park - A$27.00
Blue Mountains Explorer Bus - A$62.00 (including three one-way rides up and down the Scenic Railway, Skyway and Cableway, with a free map, guide and brochure)
Entrance to Olympic Park is free and the river cruise is also free as the weekly pass covers all ferries as well.

Total = A$380.20

If I am to book the day tours, the breakdown is as follows :

Weekly pass for public transport - A$51.00
Whale Watching Cruise - A$79.00
Sydney Sights and Beaches, including central area, eastern suburbs, Hyde Park, Opera House, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Sydney Tower, Town Hall and Royal Botanic Gardens - A$99.00
Blue Mountains tour, including Featherdale Wildlife Park, Blue Mountains and Three Sisters, Lunch, Scenic Railway and Skyway, Olympic Park and River Cruise - A$155.00
Opera ticket at Opera House - A$65.00
Madame Tussaud's Sydney and Sydney Aquarium - A$58.00
Harbour Bridge Climb - A$198.00

Total = A$705.00

Savings = A$324.80, which is about four hundred and twenty dollars in my currency. What can one do with four hundred and twenty dollars? I can feed myself for three months!

Of course, if I am to go on my own, then lunch and tea would not be included, and there would be no transport provided as well, unlike the day trips where meals are included. But I do not think my meals will cost four hundred dollars for a week, and I already plan to get a pass that covers all areas! So it is still great savings overall! Furthermore, this way I have the flexibility of choosing where and what I would like to eat, instead of going to a designated place and eating a designated meal that was already arranged.

This plan is only for Sydney. I have not made a comparison of the cost for Canberra because all their interesting places are around the city area and within walking distance from each other, and most of the attractions are free anyway. However, if one wish to go a bit further, then would need to pay a bit. According to my brother, Canberra's public transport is nothing like Sydney, so he said he better rent a car to drive me around when I am there.

So for those planning to go to Sydney, would it be a better idea to go on day trips or to go on your own? It is really your own preference. Going on your own means you have to research the place thoroughly and get familiarised with the transport system, know when to get down and which pass to get. Going with a guide means you only need to sit back, relax and listen as he tells stories of the Australian culture and history of the place. 

If you prefer your vacation to be hassle-free, then by all means go with a guide. But if you are more adventurous and prefer to explore on your own, not to mention save more money, then it is a good idea to just go places on your own, as that is a good way to learn and experience instead of a rushed trip.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...