Lilypie

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Trend Of "Rich" Kids ...

A few days back, my dad sent me a message asking me to get tickets for the Korean pop group “Smtown”. However, a check with the website indicated that tickets would only be on sale at 10am today, and even then it was only exclusively for those with a certain credit card or for Samsung Mobile customers.
 
As my mum and I both hold a credit card from the same bank, I tried going into the website at ten on the dot. Unfortunately, the website was down due to “heavy traffic”. I kept trying to go in but my many attempts did not succeed until half past eleven, where the transaction finally went through and I got the tickets.
 
My dad’s instruction was that I was to get the most expensive ticket (S$298.00 per person, after the 20% discount from that credit card, would be around S$238.40). Unfortunately, by the time I went in, that category of tickets were sold out. This allows you up close and personal with the pop group.
 
I tried the second category (S$268.00 per ticket), but also sold out. Third and fourth categories (S$238.00 and S$218.00) were sold out too. In the end, I could only get the fifth category (S$198.00 per ticket, which was five rows behind (or in front, depending on how you look at it) the stage.
 
I was to get three tickets, with booking fees and the charge for courier to send the tickets to my place since I could not be bothered to collect the tickets on my own, and the total price set me back by S$660.00. It does not matter since I would be reimbursed anyway.
 
The thing is, only kids would be interested in this Korean pop group. If that is the case, how do the kids nowadays have so much money to get the most expensive seats so instantly?
 
Obviously, my dad was not getting the tickets for himself. He was specially requested by his business associate in China to get the tickets for his daughter and her friends. So S$660.00 converted to the Chinese yuan, not to mention the return flight from China to here just for that one night, that would add up to quite a hefty sum.
 
How in the world do kids have this much money? Of course, their parents would pay, but are the parents nowadays spoiling the kids so much that they are willing to splash so much on their kids just for a concert? I know definitely my mum would not. I could not even afford S$50.00 to attend a concert I like when I was still studying!
 
Is that the reason why this new generation is growing up thinking the world of themselves, and that everyone has to cater to them alone? This makes me really reflect on what exactly is the proper and right upbringing.
 
Having never been a parent and not sure if I can ever be one, I suppose I can never understand how parents feel. I know parents definitely all love their kids, but is there a line drawn between love and teaching the right things, and love and just indulgence? Perhaps I can answer this better when, and if, I actually become a parent myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...