Lilypie

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mooncake Festival Gathering

Today I went for another extended family gathering for the mooncake aka Mid-Autumn Festival. This is also to celebrate my granduncle and grandaunt’s birthdays, as their birthdays fall around the same time as the mooncake festival (according to Lunar calendar) and just two days apart from each other.
 
I have not had a real extended family gathering for a long time. The recent wedding of my cousin where my Australian uncle and aunt came down did not really count as everyone was busy helping out during the wedding, so there was no chance to really sit down and chat.
 
Alas, during the gathering today, I did not get a chance to mingle much. My mum and I were a tad late so most of the seats had been taken up, and we were given the only two seats left available – with my granduncle’s mahjong friends instead of any of the family.
 
Hence, the only people around me are all in their fifties and above! I could not even talk to anyone as I did not know a single person. Furthermore, their topic of conversations did not interest me and I was not that able to relate to them.
 
Still, it was a good gathering in that we had great food in a nice ambience. How I wish I can have more extended family gatherings in the future, but it is hard now as most have settled down with their own families and half have moved overseas to raise their families. It is so hard to get everyone together again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...