Lilypie

Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Way To Network

Reaching a new decade is good. Seriously. I always thought it would be bad getting older and still bouncing around, but now I realize the most fun-loving people are those in their thirties! Fun does not mean clubbing and dancing and shaking to loud music. Fun simply means knowing how to enjoy life, instead of how to attempt suicide by doing things that make you have a shorter life. Now I find those in their twenties either too stodgy or too childish.


Reaching this new decade makes me change a lot of my perceptions. Maybe it is to do with the fact that for the past half year, I have been in the company of very interesting and fun people. One really grows up much faster being around highly intelligent and charismatic people!


Maybe because ever since I was in my late teens all the way to my late twenties, I had been in and out of relationships. And maybe because I was brought up in a very conservative and somewhat calculative family. To my family members, if they did not say it, I could not even invite my boyfriend to any gathering. My mum told me it was rude to offer to bring anyone else if the person was not specially invited.


To my friends, they would never bring anyone else to any party or gathering unless it is a boyfriend or girlfriend. That was the behaviour and practice I was so used to. Until recently. The guy friend I met opened the doors to many other friendships. He brought me to meet his friends, joining in parties and gatherings. He brought along friends to meet me.


Personally I do not mind. To me, the more the merrier. But I was so influenced by what my mum always told me that I thought it would not be nice if I am to bring along friends as well to others’ gatherings. Then I realize actually they do not mind as well! All you need to do is to ask!


Thus, for the gathering last night, it was only supposed to be three of us. Since both of them were bringing friends of their own, I thought why not bring some people along as well? It would be good if all join in the fun. Thus, I asked a few people, and only one confirmed he would be going. So it was a small group of seven – four girls and three guys. All single!


The thing is, to many people, why would anyone bring anyone else to meet friends if they are not in a relationship? But bringing others along need not necessary mean anything! Just like a guy bringing a female friend along to meet his friends or a girl bringing a male friend along to introduce to her friends do not mean anything! Going out and meeting people is a healthy social activity, and a good way to widen our social circle as well.


It does not mean the guy and girl is in a relationship just because he (or she) brought along a female (or male) friend! It can be because we feel that these friends are cool and fun-loving and they will not be a killjoy and are open to meeting more people, which is why we bring them along! Thus, I am no longer uncomfortable with this idea. Now, if I am going to have anymore gatherings or parties, I will bring my friends along as well and all can join in the fun! It is a good way to network too!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...