Lilypie

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Dream House

Hearing the complaints my best friend has with the interior designer that did her flat, makes me determined to decorate my own place myself in the future. Come to think of it, I have never really thought about what my own place will look like.

Few years back, when my ex and I were undergoing wedding preparations, his dad actually bought a new flat as a wedding gift for us (or rather, for when he got married). Apparently, the flat has since been sold so he and his current wife bought a new place together.

I was not really happy with the place because firstly, it was in one of the new far northeastern estates, which was rather inconvenient to get to and very out of the way. Secondly, the flat was so small! The living room was extremely big, but the bedrooms were small! The master bedroom only had the space for a double bed, cupboard and dresser!

But that point in time, we were of the opinion that it was already very lucky we did not need to get a place ourselves, so decided to just make do with it.

I am used to a big bedroom. My bedroom is already the smallest amongst all the bedrooms, since I am the only one occupying it. Yet, it has the space to put in a queen-sized bed, my electone, a chest of drawers, two big wardrobes, a bookshelf and a study / writing table, with space to spare! I still have wall space to hang a thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle, and two big windows wall to wall!

Okay, I know I cannot compare this way because a mere flat or apartment definitely does not have the space for such a big bedroom. Actually I do not need to stay in a landed place all the time. A mere flat or apartment will suffice.

But it has to have at least three bedrooms. Of course, the living room and dining room has to be separated. The kitchen must have an oven where I can bake to my heart's content, as well as a dish washer for the convenience of washing dishes. A portion of the living room can be partitioned off to make into a study, where the computers and working area is.

One bedroom will be converted to a library / music studio, where I can store all my books, the piano, the electone and whatever other instruments I may get in the future. So whenever I am in the mood to read, I can go there and lounge on the reading couch, or play a tune on the piano or electone.

The second bedroom will be used as the parents' / kids' / guest room, whatever that comes then. And of course, the master bedroom will consist of a king-size bed, a dressing table, a writing desk and a walk-in wardrobe leading to the attached bathroom. The walk-in wardrobe can also be used to store whatever books that cannot be fit into the bookshelf.

As for the bathroom, there will be a bathtub together with a separate glass-enclosed standing shower. I always love soaking in the tub, except my parents worry I may drown so they never install any bathtubs in my bathroom.

And of course, there will be a television set and DVD player in the master bedroom, as well as the living room. The music studio will be exclusively for music and reading, so no television sets or DVD players will be put in there. The master bedroom will also have a portable CD-player-cum-radio-cum-alarm clock.

The guest room will also have a television set and DVD player. In this way, everyone can watch their respective programs without fighting over the television. The living room will also have a surround sound system for great movie watching, or music appreciation, since the stereo / CD player will also be there. I like to have great surround sound, as that will be like being in a real cinema or theatre!

The doors will be made of rose wood, and painted white, with gold door knobs (the horizontal types, not the round types). The walls will be off white, more towards cream. The window grilles will be white, in those British-style (that have six squares in one window pane) tinted glass, and the windows will be those that require to be pushed open or pulled back to close, not the sliding types.

There will be hanging lights, instead of the normal lights. The sofa will be cream-coloured suede, L-shaped, with heart-shaped cushions. If there is a balcony, I will like to put a small round table with a couple of chairs so whenever I am in the mood, I can sit there and just gaze out at the surroundings.

So there, that is the skeleton of what my place will be like. The only question is, when can I get my own place, and enjoy the process of decorating it, especially with someone I am going to share the rest of my life with?

1 comments:

Richard said...

Sorry, no TV in the bedroom.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...