Lilypie

Sunday, October 1, 2006

A Good Taxi Driver

I met a good taxi driver earlier on. He did not do anything out of the way but I like his attitude. This is what I feel professionalism and doing your job is all about.

I brought my dog to the vet in the morning. My mum dropped me off at the vet, but I had to take a cab back myself. It was alright since my dog was in his own doggy bag, and each trip to the vet always makes him traumatic, so he was lying down in the bag and keeping very quiet.

Along came this cab driver, saw me and saw what was in the bag, but still picked me up. Apparently, he is allergic to pets, so apologized profusely and wound down his window. He told me that if he did not wind down the window, he would be sneezing all the way.

So I told him to go ahead. He kept apologizing, and was very polite about it. So I asked him, he could choose not to pick me up, since he is allergic to the dog fur. And his reply?

Yes, he could choose not to pick me up, but he is giving a service, and when someone needs a service, he will give his service. Being in his line of work, it will be unprofessional if he is so picky over who he picks up.

Thus, good and bad passengers, food and fruit and pets all are part of the service. Even if he cannot take the smell or the attitude, he still has to do it since it is his job.

I am impressed! I admire his attitude! Some cab drivers would grumble. I remember the first time I took my dog to the vet, the cab driver grumbled all the way, about why I bother keeping a dog if I do not even drive, etc.

At that moment, I felt like telling him if he was not happy picking me up, he could choose not to pick me up, rather than giving me a ride and complaining all the way.

Other cab drivers would tell me they are scared of dogs, so if I hop in, I must ensure the dog does not move. I never bring my dog out without putting him in his bag (unless it is for his walks)! He could hardly move inside as it is; what did the driver mean by “not letting the dog move”?

I wish more cab drivers can be like the one I met earlier. Professional and with a good attitude. A pity I did not get his vehicle number, otherwise I would have given him a nice feedback.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...