Lilypie

Monday, October 9, 2006

Weekend Updates

Just when I thought things would not get any worse with the dreaded haze going around (PSI went up as high as 145!), I am down with UTI again. Wonder how I got it this time. However, there is no pain whatsoever, yet the test showed a more major infection. I have been put on medication for a week, and have to go back and do a test again once I complete the course of medication.

Friday night, I went for a Mid-Autumn Festival dinner at an abalone restaurant. Apparently, it was also to celebrate my granduncle’s eighty-first birthday. Almost the entire “clan” turned up, ie the relatives in Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong.

Somehow I always feel uncomfortable in a big crowd. No doubt they are my family, but when the entire “clan” gets together, I hardly have anything to say to anyone as they are all so much smarter and knowledgeable than me.

They are the ones who have been educated overseas, some top scholars. Besides, they really know how to dress and carry themselves. In comparison, I look and feel so uneducated and low-class.

On Saturday, I wanted to go to the new cinema, but considering it opened its doors on Saturday itself, the place would definitely be very jam-packed, not to mention the shoving and typical behaviour of a Singaporean. So in the end, my friend and I decided to go another day, and ended up somewhere else.

I will give World Trade Centre two thumbs up! From reviews I have read, New Yorkers are not happy with the show as they said the actual event was much more intense, and the show was making a mockery of the whole catastrophe, as those who witnessed and survived the incident were still quite traumatized.

But from someone who has not gone through the incident, I would never feel how others would have felt. Of course, the day when the news broadcasted that the twin towers came falling down, my heart went out to the victims, and I cried over how some people could be so cold-blooded to take away so many innocent lives.

But how I felt then, and now, will never be compared to how the victims and survivors would have felt. Still, the movie managed to capture the agony and pain, of the wives awaiting news whether their husbands were dead or alive; the bravado put up by the two police officers who were trapped in the rubble; how people came together to help out the victims.

It has been so long since I cried at any show, but throughout the more heart-wrenching scenes of the movie, I sobbed. And even though it was a happy ending (for the families of the survivors, not for the event itself), I still cried when the show ended.

My dad came back on Friday itself. His birthday (according to the lunar calendar) was on Thursday, so we went out for lunch yesterday at a sharks fin restaurant. The food was good, but the service leaves much to be desired.

The dishes took a long time to arrive, and when we asked for extra water or sauce, the waitress raised her voice at us, saying that she is busy so can we not wait for a while? What sort of attitude is that?! No matter how busy the service staff is, raising the voice at customers is a big no-no!

The waitresses had no initiative to clear the table even after we have finished the dish. So our dishes were accumulated, and someone came and cleared the table grudgingly only after we requested three times.

Furthermore, when my mum requested for clean plates for us, the waitress just changed two of the plates, and left the rest. We had to ask several more times before the rest of the plates could be changed.

I just cannot believe that for a relatively high-class restaurant, the service staff can be so lousy! And we still have to pay them service charge! If it is up to me, I would refuse to pay the extra service charge since I did not get good service!

The restaurant was near our old house, around the vicinity of the zoo and Pierce reservoir. So we took a trip down memory lane. My mum said she used to bring me to Pierce reservoir and the zoo almost every weekend, since they were so near our place. Come to think of it, I have not been to these two places for such a long time!

We drove by our old house, but now it is beyond recognition. I spent almost six years of my life in that house. I could still remember the surrounding areas – the row of shops were a provision shop used to be, the food centre is still there but renovated, the place where my nursery used to be.

My brothers were all born in our new house (ie the second house I stayed in, the house I am staying in now is the third house my parents bought, which happens to be just down the street from our second house).

I remember the first house was rented out when we moved to our second house, then sold off when we moved into our current house, and our second house is now being rented out. My parents told me they got the old house for just a few thousand dollars!

Why did property prices have to rise so fast? Imagine if I can buy a house for just a few thousand dollars, I would be able to afford a property by next year! With the prices now, I can only afford the deposit of a small public flat, and even then I am not of the age or status to get it!

At times, I wish the weekends can be longer. It seems that one has scarcely enough rest and relax before Monday comes round and we have to go back and slog again for another long week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...