Lilypie

Friday, October 13, 2006

Of Dating Websites And Agencies

My best friend is finally attached! I am so happy for her! She has been reluctant to enter a relationship ever since her two bad breakups, but apparently this guy manages to change her mind.

She told me she is so blessed to know him. Wow, he must be really something, as the last time she was “blessed to know” anyone was when she was with that guy who was so into her.

I asked her how she met him, and she told me it was from a dating website. She must be really lucky then, since she met a rather decent guy. My experiences on dating or friendship websites are mostly disastrous!

I have been a member of a few dating sites since a few years back. Off and on, depending on my status. So far, I have met about ten guys from these sites. But only a couple have become firm friends. The rest are all either only looking for flings or else they are so desperate that I was almost stalked by a couple of them.

It is really hard to find a decent person in cyberspace. Most of the guys I came into contact with accused me of being untruthful when I said I am not out for flings. My intention when I signed up was to widen my social network. There is no harm knowing more people. It does not have to be anything to do with sex whatsoever!

Of course, being in cyberspace, one cannot control the people signing up, but please do not have the impression that girls who sign up for dating sites are only out to get themselves laid! These are networks to help individuals find serious friendships. By making them seem more like sex sites or something is only abusing the service provided by the websites.

Which is why a lot of my friends are going through agencies instead. I know a few who are members of It’s Just Lunch as well as Lunch Actually. My friends said that going through a mutual party is much better than stumbling around in cyberspace.

Agencies will screen your profile and match you with who they think will be compatible. And the members are all high-flyers looking for serious friendships, so there will be no hanky-panky or monkey business going on.

Besides, all particulars are held back by the agents. The dates only exchange particulars if they feel comfortable with each other and think they can progress further. Otherwise, it will be goodbye after the first date.

So in a way, there will be no danger of anyone knowing your full name or email or mobile number, and the chances of meeting shallow people will decrease as compared to dating websites.

Apparently the dating agencies are booming. I never know there are really that many singletons out there, mostly educated and knowledgeable. No wonder the government is panicking about the number of single graduates who are not settling down and raising a family of smart kids to take over society.

Hmmmm, perhaps if my status ever change again, I may just want to give them a try. I have tried out Lunch Actually, maybe next time I will try out It’s Just Lunch instead and see if I can then hit the jackpot finally.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

There are lots of dating site online, but I want to know how to approach a girl you like?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...