Lilypie

Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Miracles Happen (When You Believe)

(Verse 1)
Many nights we’ve prayed
With no proof anyone could hear
In our hearts a hopeful song
We barely understood

Now we are not afraid
Although we know there’s much to fear
We were moving mountains long
Before we knew we could

(Chorus)
There can be miracles
When you believe
Though hope is frail
It’s hard to kill

Who knows what miracles
You can achieve
When you believe
Somehow you will
You will when you believe

(Verse 2)
In this time of fear
When prayer so often proves in vain
Hope seem like the summer birds
Too swiftly flown away

Yet now I’m standing here
With heart so full I can’t explain
Seeking faith and speaking words
I never thought I’d say

*Repeat Chorus

(Ending)
You will when you believe…..

- “When You Believe” (Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey)

Recent events have made me think of this song. I first came across this song while watching “Prince of Egypt”, then I was asked to teach this song when I first came out to teach.

At that point in time, the school I was posted to was going to be merged with two other schools, so my Vice-Principal allowed me to set up a choir on the condition that I taught this song to the kids for them to sing during the Closing Ceremony.

It was a hard time for me, as it was the first time the school had a choir, so everything was in a mess. But I did it in the end! The kids enjoyed themselves so much, they felt the effort was worth it, and the school enjoyed the singing.

At that point in time, I felt that miracles do happen, when you believe. And now, I still feel the same way. This song suddenly came into my mind again after what happened to my youngest brother.

He had always been the calculative, self-centred type. As a result, he always played a fool with his friends. Since he is studying in an English-speaking mission school, he always complains that his friends are trying to convert him to be a Christian.

However, due to his recent trouble, he was afraid others would “pay him back” for all his tricks and mischief. Yet, no one scolded him and all (teachers and students) tried to help him.

His friends said would pray for him, pray for our mum, pray for our family. And from this incident, my brother was so touched that he actually contemplated converting!

I told him if he wants to take up a religion, it must be because he really believes in it, not just because he feels touched. Religion should come from oneself, not because of any obligation whatsoever.

But when he told me that, I am really happy. God has His ways of doing things, and choosing people.

I do not believe in converting others, although I may share my religion, as I always feel that it is more meaningful to discover God (whichever God) in one’s own way rather than through forced conversion.

I have come across a lot of Christians who are very pushy. They go around converting and preaching to everyone, thinking that Christianity is the number one religion. To that I feel it is wrong as every religion should be equal; it is only up to people which one they want to believe in.

I do not have good impressions of some Christians. Besides being pushy, they are discriminating too, to other religions, and to people. It is as if if someone is not a Christian, the person cannot even be a friend or something.

Thus, I am impressed by the way my brother’s friends care and reach out for him. Mistakes made are forgiven; after all, forgiveness is a virtue. And besides, it is up to Him to judge, not anyone else.

Now how I wish my own mistakes can be forgiven too, by mortals. Life will be easier if I can make peace with those I have fallen out with. But if I keep believing, then perhaps miracles will happen.

1 comments:

Richard said...

Don't make the mistake of believing all religions are equal (or indeed even true), but, on the othe rhand, treat people with the respect and dignity they deserve as children of God.

I only believe in Truth (not that I necessarily know all the truth at the moment).

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...