Lilypie

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Israeli Souvenirs

I guess people must be wondering what kind of souvenirs Israel has? Before I went there, I was wondering the same thing too. I thought perhaps they would have local coffee and tea, which incidentally, I bought back one can of Israeli coffee powder for my boss and one box of Israeli black tea for one of my colleagues.

But what about other things? There are beads, jewellery, caftans (lots and lots of them), pashminas, praying scarfs, religious artifacts and Dead Sea products of course! However, the things in Israel are not cheap. Our tour guide himself says that the living standard has gone up a lot, and besides, for a country that uses USD as an "unofficial" currency, how cheap can the living expenses be?

In any case, during our little shopping trips, we managed to bargain the prices down. So I got a beautiful turquoise long flowy skirt that can also double up as a tube dress for just USD20.00, slashed down from USD50.00.

My mum got a white caftan top and a black pashmina. She also got a ceramic plate with the words "God Bless Our Home", which she slashed down to USD10.00 from USD25.00, with a free stand at the same time.

As for me, besides the long skirt, I got some Dead Sea mud masks for myself and friends back home. I also got olive wood rosaries that look like this :


My friend asked me to get her a Jerusalem cross, which is the most expensive so far, costing around USD100.00 (which I managed to slash down to that price) :

This is what a Jerusalem Cross looks like

But of course, my favourites are the fridge magnets that I got to add to my collection, as proof of my travels :






And these that my mum got for me :





This is my favourite so far.

We also managed to buy some candy at the duty free shop at the airport, which I took a box to distribute to my colleagues after I came back. My mum got her neck massager pillow and more Dead Sea products to give away. Hence we came back very happy and satisfied with all our purchases! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...