Lilypie

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Useless Mobile Plan In Israel

Before I left, I signed up for a local mobile plan in Israel to prevent incurring roaming charges. The card was given to me on the day I checked into the first hotel. Unfortunately, even though I signed up for a data plan, the data was somehow not working. And I was not able to send text messages for a while. So I ended up just using the phone to call.

Later on, I was able to send text messages out using the local number, but still no data plan. Initially, I wanted the phone plan because of data. I thought I could still surf the internet, check my emails, and even send whatsapp messages out.

But then the coach we were in has free Wifi, and the hotel has some Wifi too. So overall, the data plan was not much of a use. My phone ended up more of a white elephant than anything else, with the occasional phone calls and text messages.

And it is not as if the phone plan is that cheap! I had to pay a deposit plus daily rental charges, in USD! The only good thing is that I was able to get a refund on my deposit and the unused portion of the plan upon returning. 

Today I just received an email saying my phone (card) has been returned, so the number and account is officially terminated. Their billing cycle is on the twentieth of every month, hence I would get a refund into my card within five days.

Hence the lesson learnt is that, it is not necessary to get a local number in Israel, because there is Wifi available. Or maybe my tour group happened to be fortunate. Of course I cannot speak for all, especially for those who chose a different mode of travel. But all I can say is that, unless there is absolutely an emergency or something urgent, otherwise one can do without a local plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...