Lilypie

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Are People Getting Too Competitive?

The Cycling Challenge was a great achievement for me. I broke my own record. I never knew I could actually cycle so far and even got a medal to show for it! However, while on the road, I faced a few people who kind of upset me. And they are all men! How typical!



All of them passed by me while I was struggling, and jeered, booed, spoke loudly that I was holding up traffic, that the whole world was waiting for me alone, and something to that effect. Is it because I am a woman, hence the man just cannot resist looking down on me? I never see any woman doing that!



In the first place, can they not see that I was struggling along? Even if they do not wish to help me (which I do not expect them to), at least spare the jeers and laughs because that is very unkind and not helping the situation at all. If someone is struggling, how is laughing at the person going to be of any help? I am already in a stressed-up mood, I do not need all these jeers to help out my situation!



The Cycling Challenge may be called a "challenge" but it is not a competition. There is no first prize or second prize or third prize and no consolation prizes. Everyone gets a goodie bag as a reward for completing the challenge, that is all. Nothing else. So why do people then want to always rush ahead to be the first and laugh at everyone else who were not as fast or good?



Is it due to our fast-paced society, that people do not know how to show compassion to those who are slower or not as good? Yes, we are all involved in the rat race, especially in a highly stressed city, but then must everything be a competition? If we are competing to win an award in school or work, that is still okay.



But people are competing in everything else and laugh at everyone else who is not as good. For instance, when I played tennis, just because I could not manage to catch the ball, my tennis partner(s) would then laugh at me and then want to tell me what to do and how to do and told me not to spoil the game or make them lose. Well, it is just a game after all, is it so important who win or who lose?



People are competing over everything else, yet the biggest irony is that we lose out big in social graces, courtesy and strength of character. Everyone is so competitive nowadays, everyone wants to be first that they start caring for themselves and become so self-centred, that as a result, they no longer think about others, no longer care about others, no longer say please or thank you, they just take for granted everything has to be their way and their benefit, without caring about the rest. And if they do not get it, they start throwing tantrums and thinking the whole world owes them a living.



I am starting to be afraid of the kind of world I am living in, and the kind of world my own future kids will be born into. It makes me think twice whether should I even let a kid come into this cruel, merciless, selfish world?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...