Lilypie

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Home Exchange, Anyone?

I had been inspired by "The Holiday" (a heartwarming show, by the way) and starting having this idea that perhaps the next time I go on vacation I can just swop houses with someone else from anywhere in the world.

The website used in the show is Home Exchange, which really exists. Out of curiosity, I went into the website and discovered that there are many in the world who are willing to exchange houses with others and go away for a while.

There are even a few where I come from, but the houses are mainly landed properties and condominiums and owned by expatriates. Why is that so, I wonder? There are no public flats for exchange (maybe under government regulations this is not allowed?), and there are no Asian families putting their houses up for exchange.

Somehow it seems like Westerners are more for this idea. Is it because as Asians, people are still rather close-minded and will be horrified if they think of letting strangers stay in their house for a while and vice versa? Afterall, Asians will take it as some form of imposition (which is a no-no) if they so much as stay in another person's house.

To me, I find this idea very appealing. Imagine a cosy cottage somewhere in the countryside. This is one swell way to get out of the rut and get away for some real peaceful relaxation. Besides, if I am to tour the place, there may be a guaranteed place to stay for the duration, instead of shuttling between hotel and hotel or inn and inn.

Searching the website, I saw there is a cottage right in Shakespeare country! Now how perfect would that be! The main problem is to convince my parents to do the same thing, but knowing them, it will be impossible to convince them to swop houses with anyone. :-(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...