Lilypie

Friday, February 23, 2007

A Good Year Wannabe

Just when I was fretting over what I thought would be a bad year, the past couple of days regained my confidence that this may turn out to be a good year after all. Hopefully, it will be the best year of my life, but perhaps that is a bit too far to hope for. Things seem to be going well, especially due to a gathering I am organising for next week. The response has been quite positive so far. I am looking forward to it so much, as I get to meet new friends and widen my social circle. Hopefully that will be a success.

I have been grinning from ear to ear the past couple of days. Seems like working in a more prestigious company has its advantages. Not even when I was in the public sector did I have all these advantages! First, all of a sudden, more banks are willing to give me credit, and automatically giving me gold and platinum cards. Anyway nowadays, one need not need to earn so much to get a gold or platinum card, just the minimum amount will do. Thus, I received my first gold and platinum card in a matter of days!

Secondly, I renewed my mobile contract. I was contemplating whether to change my number so as to cut off contact from people I no longer wish to hear from. However, if I change my number, it will be a hassle letting everyone know. Besides, I love my number. If I change, I will not be able to get such a nice number again! So I decided to stick to the number, and since I renewed the line, I was able to get a new phone at plan price instead of retail price.

Thus, I am now the owner of the pink Motorola Razr v3x! A 3G phone no less, at slightly less than S$40! And it is not baby pink, but bright fuchsia pink, a cheery colour. Initially I wanted to get the limited edition red Motorola Razr v3, as proceeds will go to the Global Fund in aid of AIDS victims in third-world countries. Unfortunately, the phone is only for new subscribers. :-(

Thirdly, because of a certain card promotion, I am able to get a laptop at a certain shop by instalments for two years with no interest. Not only that, I am able to get cash back, so the bank itself will send me a cheque for 2% of what I spent. Since I have such a good deal, why not utilise it? So I called up and reserved the laptop I wanted. It will arrive next week, and after that, I can then be the owner of a white Fujitsu LifeBook P7230!

Fourthly, I signed up for a free wireless internet access under Qmax. Due to that, I am able to get a free webcam from Creative Technologies. I can go to the Creative office to redeem the webcam, and my brothers and I can then start having video-conferencing or chat with people face to face, instead of hiding behind our PC.

But the best news is my brother made peace with me that day. He was actually angry with my mum for being too harsh, but he felt guilty towards me, thus could not bear to face me, but he apologised and said he did not know that affected me so much, and kept assuring me he never once blamed me. So all's well ends well. For that, I treated him to two shows last night - "Dreamgirls" and the new local show by talented director Neo "Just Follow Law".

"Dreamgirls" is absolutely amazing! From the storyline to the acting to the songs, everything is perfect! Just like another "Chicago", but each show has its own distinctions and good in their own rights. And the voices! Goodness, Jennifer Hudson's voice alone can out-sing everyone else! If only I can have a voice like that! One wonders how in the world she got rejected from Amerian Idol? Her voice is better than any of the winners!

Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson are truly deserving of their Best Supporting wins at the Golden Globes. Hopefully they will win the Oscars too. One wonders why is this show not nominated for a Best Picture? There is hardly any show that can enable me to give it a standing ovation at the end, but this is one show that I did. The others are "Forrest Gump", "Chicago" and "The Pianist". Even "Titanic" did not give me that reaction.

Is it due to it being an "all-black movie" as speculated by some? But a good movie is a good movie. One hardly sees a real good movie nowadays. Does it matter who writes or directs or acts in it? So if a show with an all-Asian cast can make it into the Best Picture nomination, why not one with an all African-American cast?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...