Lilypie

Friday, February 2, 2007

Reliving School Days?

I started school again today. My school campus is undergoing part renovation, thus we are sharing the campus with another school behind. And I got lost trying to find my way. Really reminded me of my first day back on campus when I was wondering around, trying to find out where to go. I could still see myself looking at my timetable, glancing around at the big place, feeling despair and lost as I was running late for class. Needless to say, when one went in late for a lecture, so many heads turned to look at you and you just felt like digging a hole in the ground to bury yourself.

Come to think of it, in this relatively short life of mine, I have been more of a student than a worker. I started attending nursery at the age of two, so until the day of graduation, I had been in school for more than twenty-one years. I have only worked for just five and half years (not including the various freelance and vacation jobs I took on while studying). Yet, in these five years or so, although I struggled in the jobs I had, but I learnt a lot because once mistakes were made, I learnt from them and became more experienced. So I was in the end able to handle tasks given pretty well after that.

But school life was different. After twenty-one years of studying, I still have no idea how to score well. I still wonder why are some people always able to score straight 'A's without much effort, despite being so active in school and have a vast range of hobbies. Where and how do they find the time to study? There are also some others who perpetually miss lectures and tutorials, yet able to graduate with high honours. There are also those who go for classes without needing to take down any notes, yet they are able to score for examinations.

Why do I always find studying so difficult, so much of a struggle? Is it because I was studying subjects which are very heavy-going, which needed lots of reading and research? I thought I am not a science person because where some of my peers were able to get the concepts right, I struggled so much and almost flunked out of school. Then when I switched courses, the same thing happened. I managed to scrape through, but yet I could still never be a top scorer, or at least a straight 'A' scorer.

So how do people do it, aceing examinations without a struggle? I studied more than a lot of people, where during revision and examination periods, my peers could go for movies, or parties, or generally have fun, I was kept at home studying the whole day, yet my grades were never as good as theirs.

I read books on making notes and time management, and the tips were to make good notes, mind maps and manage the time well by focusing on important parts and studying when my brain was most active. I did all that, but still, I did not graduate with honours. I really wish to be able to find out the secret formula of scoring well without much effort, especially since I am working and studying at the same time, so these tips are all the more precious to me!

Speaking of which, I should have gone for the examination last year instead of pulling out. I just looked through the past year paper, and it was so easy! Easy as in there are a few questions which I could have done relatively well. One question on Shakespeare and two on History. I only needed to answer three out of the nine questions, and I could just answered those three questions, then perhaps I could ace a paper for once?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...