Lilypie

Friday, February 2, 2007

Art Appreciation

The first lecture today covers a bit of art appreciation as well. It was about the same as last year. Even the lecturer is the same, except this time round, he seems to be more enthusiastic about the subject, so he infected everyone with his enthusiasm.

Actually appreciating the arts is very subjective. Certain people will deem certain things as nice, others will hate them. Besides, art and music or theatre appreciation used to belong to the more "cultured" people. Layman can never understand, or so they think. As a result, the arts and culture is not widely recognised or appreciated here.

To me, I feel that the general public here do not give themselves a chance. How would they know they will not be able to appreciate? I gave myself a chance so many years back and went to watch my first play - "Les Miserables", and loved it! I still love it now! Initially I thought I would not be able to appreciate as well, but I was wrong.

Same goes for art. For someone like me who has had no experience in art, except that brief period of time when I was about six when my parents sent me for art lessons, it had been rather difficult for me to really see art in a different context then what it was - a mess. I have no artistic talent. People who know me know I am more of a music person than an art person.

But when I went to secondary school, my art teacher taught me how to see beyond what the eye can see. She taught me to see beyond my soul, and feel for the object I was going to draw. As a result, I drew my first still life. Although I still failed, but at least that picture looked like a picture instead of the big mess I was used to drawing.

After that, I got to know the more famous artists and sculptors and am amazed by how well they could draw. They could bring a portrait or landscape to life. Seeing a certain piece, one can actually visualise what the artist was going through, his mood, his feeling, the reason behind the piece. And that itself is a rather heartwarming experience. Now, I am so glad I gave myself a chance and not shun anything to do with the arts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...