Lilypie

Monday, February 5, 2007

First Session With SMC

My Australian cousin's wife gave birth to a girl yesterday. My aunt must be so happy, since she always wanted a girl after having three boys. I guess she will be so doting to her granddaughter! And I guess the girl will grow up to be very pretty since she is of mixed parentage. I cannot wait to see them in Malta (which incidentally, we finally confirmed the trip yesterday. So we will be flying off on the night of June twenty-fifth to Spain, then to Malta on July fourth, and back home on July ninth)! I hope they will allow me to carry the baby girl! Somehow I always feel girls are cuter than boys. If I am to have just one child, I will want a girl!

Yesterday was my first session with the new church choir which I just joined. Seems like I joined them at a rather inconvenient time, since they are in the midst of changing the committee and having their Annual General Meeting this coming week, which they asked me to attend as well. Coincidentally, the person in charge of the choir was my former school mate from secondary school. She was in the same batch too, except in a different class. In fact, her classroom was just next door to mine! We recognised each other instantly!

I should not be that surprised anyway. It was due to this church that I entered my primary school (then the affiliated secondary school) in the first place. Years ago, when my parents were enrolling me in a school, they asked my cousin if they could put down this church, as the church is affiliated with the school (as well as the boys school nearby). They thought I would stand a higher chance of entering the school due to "connections". Thus, it is no surprise that most students from my school (and the boys school opposite) belongs to this church.

Anyway, it was a good experience. Considering I have not been singing ever since I botched up the audition last year, my voice still seems in a pretty good shape. I can still hold the notes pretty well. So the conductor asked me to sing Descant. In the context of hymns, a Descant is the range higher than a Soprano, which is actually not that high in operatic context.

In the hymn book, a Descant's range is from the middle G to high E (which is within the range of a normal Mezzo-Soprano), and a Soprano's range is one octave from middle C to the next highest C. And an Alto is from the G just below the middle C to the middle G. Which is not really a wide range. Thus a church choir, although a good place to start, is hardly likely the place to train for professional or oratoria singing, which is something I have been doing. It is like doing mere data-entry work when one has been used to doing decision-making work.

Yet I enjoy it because it is a service to God, to the church. It is one of the few masses I attended which I feel so good, so spiritual all over. And to have people who accept the way I sing, who allow me to contribute means so much to me than just mere public stage performances. Besides singing Descant, I had been asked to play for the choir too, as they need pianists and organists. My school mate said she remember I ever played for the school, so said that they will let me settle down then give me the scores to practice. I am happy and enthusiastic of course, but I do not feel that confident.

I have not touched my piano for some time. Normal hammering of the notes and playing pieces are still fine, but not to just look at the score and improvise from the beginning. I have not done that for a very long time. Besides, my piano is at the end of its tether, according to the tuner. My electone is totally spoilt. The model used to be the latest model twenty years ago, which I used for various competitions and examinations. Since then, more and newer models have come out, and my electone is now two generations behind the latest one.

It is so old that I cannot even ask anyone to fix it anymore as there are no more parts or components for it! The newest model now (the one I am eyeing) costs a hefty five-figure sum, but the sound is fantastic! One can perform a professional rock concert on it without any other instruments! Just a pity I do not have the cash to spare. :-(

Overall, it was pretty enjoyable. The people are great, and the music is good. First time I am in a church choir where I am not the eldest. This choir consists of working adults, so I am about the youngest in age range. Now that I am finally serving the church in some way, I want to stick with it and contribute as much as I can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...