Lilypie

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Shine On You

Currently I am hooked on the Hong Kong series "Shine On You". It is a show on teachers and the education system. Come to think of it, our lives are rather similar to those in Hong Kong. Wonder if it is because the two countries used to be under the same ruler?

The show appeals to me because it is on the relationship between teachers and students. I can really relate to that! Students are just as difficult, parents are just as demanding, the principal and management is just as uncooperative, teachers are just as overworked and underpaid. These are the reasons why I chose to leave.

However, come to think of it, by moulding someone's life, and the kid later comes to you and says you have created an impact in his / her life, this is a real fulfilling reward, something which no money can ever buy, no matter how much. Just like the former student I met on the bus the other day. He still recognises me, and he still tells me the things in school, although he is now out of the school and at a higher level.

That is essentially what a teacher hopes for. No matter how troublesome kids can be, a teacher will hope to make a difference in their lives, and see them going on the right track and not turn bad. So in a way, I feel rather happy I managed to achieve a little of this, even though I only taught him for half a year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...