Lilypie

Monday, March 8, 2010

Branded ... Or Not?

Some guys I know gripe about girls being too brand conscious and deem them as "high maintenance" and not a good "wife material".

What exactly is a good "wife material" anyway? Someone demure and soft-spoken who lets the guy do anything he pleases? What makes anyone think that a more intelligent, capable girl who stands firm to her beliefs and speaks her mind will not be a good wife?

Besides, if a man can spend thousands just on a camera and more on lens, why kick up a fuss when a woman spends a few hundred on bags, shoes, clothes and makeup? If the woman is able to afford it, why the issue?

Personally, I do not really care for brands. Of course I do have a few branded products like a Prada bag, Prada wallet, Levis jeans and several pairs of branded sunglasses.

But I do not nor can afford to buy branded products all the time. That is not to say I shun them though. In certain aspects, the brands do speak. Yes, a Louis Vuitton costs a bomb but the original workmanship and details are far more superior than a cheap knock-off. You buy one original it can practically last you for a lifetime.

That does not apply to cosmetics though. Contrary to what many think, the more expensive the brand is, it does not mean the products are necessarily better.

I have used common brands like Maybelline, ZA, Loreal and Revlon, as well as upmarket brands like Estee Lauder, Lancome and Clinique. My first choice? Still Maybelline, followed by ZA.

I may be biased but I base my judgement on lipsticks, lipglosses, mascaras and face powder - products I use the most. My lips tend to be dry so the lip products should not cause them to be parched.

My lashes are short so the mascara should really curl the lashes and not smudge the eyelids even after using an eyelash curler. And I have quite a unique skin colour tone so the powder cannot be too dark nor light.

So far after trying on the various brands, Maybelline lip products and mascaras still win hands down! The lipsticks and lipglosses actually moisturise my lips and keep them supple and glossy.

The mascara does not clump or smudge yet make my lashes fuller and more sultry. ZA's face powder is the only one that actually fades into my skin.

In comparison, the lip products of the upmarket brands tend to be drying, sometimes even causing my lips to be parched. The mascaras clump and smudge.

The face powders are a shade too light and make me look like a ghost sometimes. So who says the more expensive the better?

One thing which I will not spend so much on is shoes. Face it, when you put them on your feet, does anyone actually notice? Does anyone even know you are wearing a seven-hundred dollar pair of Ferragamos or a fifty-dollar pair of Charles and Keith? If you wear them often, they are going to be worn out quickly and then you have to replace them every few months.

That is not to say I just buy shoes off the shelf like that. I do believe in quality and comfort especially since I will be walking in them. So my shoes have to be fitting, round tip and open toe.

My feet are broad hence I cannot wear any pointy tipped shoes. My toes tend to clump together causing discomfort and blisters hence I cannot wear anything close toe. Thus all pointy tipped pumps are out.

Which is why my shoes are always open toe ones. Plus my feet are small so it is even harder to find the perfect pair of shoes. At times you find the perfect pair but the colour and price may not suit you.

Still I do have a few brands I like. Hush Puppies and Charles and Keith are my favourites. The shoes are nice, comfortable and not that pricey. For sports Nike is always the best. One should not save on sports shoes as the right pair does make a difference when you are running around or exercising.

For travelling and outdoor, Timberland boots are the best. Yes they cost a bit but they last a long time and can withstand rain, snow, sand, in short, all weathers. Get a good pair and you need not get another for the next decade.

Still that is not to say I do not like branded products. Like a typical girl, I do enjoy the occassionally indulgence. If you are in the mood and it is within your means, why not? Everyone deserves to pamper themselves once in a while.

So I, too, hope to own a Louis Vuitton or Coach or Kate Spade or Gucci bag or wallet one day, as well as Ferragamo or Jimmy Choo shoes. And yes, Tiffany diamond jewellery and a Vera Wang gown as well!

1 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Reading this post makes me wanna go out and buy an LV! Hahaha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...