Lilypie

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Great Cycling Challenge

I have never woken up so early on a Sunday, or any other day at that! But today was an exception. It was the day which I had been training so hard for for the past three months. After all the falling, bumping, wobbling and coaching, I thought finally I was ready.

I woke up at four in the morning just to catch the transport at five. When we reached the destination, due to road closure, the coach dropped us off at the expressway and we had to unload the bikes and cycled in.

Despite the crowd of people, I managed to cycle in fuss-free. We took the coach at five in the morning and it reached around half past five, just nice for those taking the forty kilometres to get ready. My event started at half past seven, so we sat down somewhere to relax.

Around half past six, I did a trial run and found my bicycle wobbly. How could it be again? So we brought it to the repair counter where they removed the basket and tightened the screw on my handle (again!).

By seven we were already at the starting point. We were one of the earlier ones to be at the starting point. I sat on my bicycle and balanced it without my hands and it was alright.

Five minutes to flag off, we got into position. The moment we were told to go, everyone started pedaling. I was able to cruise around without a glitch too.

Then it happened. Just past the starting point, the confounded handle finally gave way and the bicycle went in all directions! I swerved left and right and almost collided with the people around me! I expect they must have cursed and swore at me!

I am no professional hence I cannot cycle without the handle. Thus I have to drop out before I even kind of started. What a bummer!

Later on when I examined my bicycle, I notice that where everyone else's bicycles are able to stand horizontal (with just a bit movement of the handle), my bicycle actually stood at ninety degrees! For some reason, the handle just cannot remain straight! That explains the constant wobbliness!

Oh well, there is always next year. Hope I will do better next time round!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...