Lilypie

Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Capella A Capella

I just came back from watching "Pitch Perfect", and it is a pretty good, albeit comedian, show. Essentially, the show is about a group of college all female a capella singers trying to win the prize which they lost so humiliatingly the previous year.
 
The show is a rather run-of-the-mill kind of show, but what strikes me is the singing. All the actors can sing! That is really something. Many a times, we get people who can act but cannot sing, and vice versa. The notable exceptions are Hugh Jackman, Neil Patrick Harris and Anne Hathaway, who by the way, will be with Hugh Jackman in the upcoming "Les Miserables" which will open here on Christmas Day, and I really cannot wait for it!
 
The actors and actresses of this show all sing a capella, which is much harder than normal singing. In normal singing, one follows the rhythm and just let the words flow along. But in a capella singing, it is without accompaniment, which means the voices have to be the instruments, backups and vocals all at the same time. This is not an easy feat, and only a really talented singer who keeps good beat, rhythm and with great pitch can achieve that.
 
This show makes me want to sing again! I have not sung for a long time, save for the once in a while karaoke sessions. Ever since I stopped performing, I have not really sung and I think my vocals have turned rusty. In fact, I do not know if I can even carry a tune anymore!
 
However, I am not one to sing a capella, because I do not think I have perfect pitch. I guess I just have to make do with singing normal songs, although a capella sounds so much more interesting and fun to sing, because you can really play with the songs and stream a medley just by your voices alone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...