Lilypie

Friday, November 30, 2012

Thinking Of A Pilgrimage ...

World Youth Day for next year will be held at Brazil, in the cities of Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro and Salvador da Bahia. I have already missed the one in Madrid last year, and I thought of experiencing just once before I get too old. Unfortunately, by the time I found out about World Youth Day in general, I was already close to the cut off age. Hence, if I do not go next year, I may never have a chance to go again.

I thought of going because this is probably the one time I can actually have a pilgrimage in some sort. I have gone for religious retreats, but never actually gone on something intensive like this. Which is why I thought it would be a good experience for me, where my religion is concerned.

However the price is quite a turn off. I guess because it is South America after all, so it is inevitably more expensive than other countries. Although the price is all inclusive (return air fare, all meals, accommodation and transport), I still think it is rather steep. We are not staying in luxurious places or dining in high class places after all, we will be staying in dormitories, basic accommodation and eating basic meals. Is there really a justification for the cost? And the price is already partially sponsored, otherwise it will be higher!

The other concern is the duration. It will be a three-week pilgrimage at least. I am not sure if I can even take that long off, considering I started my job not that long ago. I have calculated that I need at least fifteen days off, and that is assuming I work until the day of departure, and go back to work immediately after I return and not take anymore days off immediately before and after that.

On the other hand, it is Brazil. We will be going to Sugarloaf Mountain, Statue of Christ the Redeemer, and some other "holy grounds", including UNESCO Heritage sites. We may get to see the Pope up close and personal as he would be conducting the closing mass. And South America is a place I always wanted to go.

I have up to mid-December to make up my mind, after that there is no turning back! I think I shall take the next few days and decide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...