Lilypie

Friday, November 9, 2012

Are "Branded" Salons Necessary Better?

During lunch earlier, I went to a hair salon at the shopping mall nearby my office for a hair wash, as I foresee I would not have the time to wash my hair tonight as it would probably be midnight before we could reach Malacca.
 
There are only two hair salons, so I went to the first one, which happens to be a very prominent one. And it was a disaster, as in the service provided was a disaster. First, when I told them I only wanted to have a hairwash, they immediately brought me to the sink. The hairdresser then started washing my hair with all my hair gathered in the small sink. She only applied shampoo once, rinsed off and then conditioner after that.
 
In the first place, which normal salon washed your hair in the sink? All the other salons I go to, they would wash your hair while you are seated at the chair, massage your head thoroughly and then go for a rinse before applying conditioner. If you wash your hair in the small sink, chances are you would not be able to get every part, especially for chest-length hair like mine.
 
Secondly, the water they use to rinse is cold! They apologised, saying that the water heater "conked" out, but anyone in the hairdressing business would know warm water is best for rinsing off shampoo and suds, right? Using cold water to rinse off will cause the hair to shrink and tangle more.
 
Third, they just put a towel over my head, and then started blowing my hair. They did not even bother wiping or massaging or at least squeezing the water out. After the cold rinse, they immediately used the hot dryer to blow my hair. How can my hair not be in bad shape? And they have the cheek to say my hair is dry and tangled!
 
Two of the stylists were blowing my hair together. And they started gossiping to each other about the state and condition of my hair, in Mandarin. They probably think I do not understand because I spoke in English and most people think I do not look Chinese.
 
I do not appreciate people gossiping about the bad condition of my hair when I am doing my hair! I felt like telling them off, saying to them that do they think I do not understand every word they said? But I let it go, since I was in a hurry and needed to rush back to the office.
 
Finally my hair was done. But I was not that satisfied with the results, as I thought they could do a better job. And they charged me twice as much as what my normal salon would charge, and with much better service and professionalism too!
 
I really do not understand the hype about all these "branded" salons. From my experience, the service is not necessary better as compared to normal neighbourhood or home salons. And they are much more expensive too. So why people prefer to use a "branded" salon instead of a normal neighbourhood salon is really beyond my comprehension.
 
I have tried a few "branded" salons before, and somehow am not satisfied with either, be it in terms of pricing or quality or service. That is the reason why after so many years, I am still a faithful customer to the little salon tucked in a little neighbourhood, where I go to wash, blow, cut, steam, colour and treat my hair, because the service provided is so much better as compared to the price I paid. So who said those "branded" salons are good? I find them so over hyped!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...