Lilypie

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

End Of The Pretty Vampire Saga

I just went to watch the last instalment of the Twilight series for the second time. The ending is a good conclusion to the whole series, and somehow I felt a sense of pity after finishing the show, because that is the end. It was just like Harry Potter, where I had to wait ten years for the ending.
 
I read the book series when the first movie came out. Within one week, I finished all four books. It is a good story on its own, although if I was say fifteen years younger, I would appreciate it more and go so starry eyed and dreaming of my own true love in the form of a good-looking, rich and romantic guy. Alas, reality strikes and now that I am this age, I have gotten more cynical.
 
I guess the story is so appealing because it is a deviation from the norm. Afterall, vampires are supposed to be like Dracula - evil, blood-sucker, kidnap maidens and gain more power. They are supposed to have no reflection, stay out of the sun, sleep in coffins, have pointed teeth and no red eyes. Vampires will be killed using a cross, stabbing through the heart and scared off by garlic.
 
Stephenie Meyer made vampires look so glamourous - pale skin, dark hair, red eyes, no pointy teeth, mirror reflections, no need to sleep and able to glow in the sun instead of burning. They do not eat, not scared by garlic, and nothing can kill them save for beheading. Somehow that reminds me of the immortal Highlander.
 
For people who are die hard vampire fans, these do not bode well for them as they believe in the traditional vampires. Hence, this would be a screwed up version of vampires. But this story, besides vampires taking the central stage, is essentially a love story. Shorn of the vampire and human status, it shows how true love prevails, how the guy would do anything to protect the girl he loves, how a man will put his family first at all cost.
 
And that is why it is so popular, especially amongst ladies. Every lady, no matter what age, deep down, she yearns for a man like that, someone who loves her and protects her, who cares for his family and someone who can withstand thick and thin for her. Which is why I felt it was a pity that the series ended.
 
Oh well.. I can always re read the books and start indulging in my own fantasies again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...