Lilypie

Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Pet Is A Lifetime Of Responsibility

Some time ago when I was surfing the SPCA website looking for strays to adopt, I came across this touching article which brought tears to my eyes. A pity I did not save or print it out, so when I went back to the website later, the article is no longer there. The story reproduced here is entirely from my memory. I try as much as possible to remember every detail.

When I was a puppy, your world consisted of only me. You expressed anger whenever I messed up the floor, but always forgave me and gave me a tummy rub when I looked dopey and apologetic. You carried my photo everywhere and showed me off to all your friends.

Later you felt you needed a human companion instead. So you brought home a lady who has no affinity for dogs. Still, I welcomed her into our home, as long as you were happy. But while I used to be able to roam all around the house, now I spend most of my time shut up in the kitchen.

When the human children came, I was just as excited as you were. I wanted to take care of them, protect them, be their mother too. But you and your wife were afraid I would hurt them, so kicked me aside whenever I went near any of them.

Your attitude had changed. You no longer played with me or took me out for walks. Even when your friends asked if you had a dog, where in the past you would take out my photo and show me off excitedly, now you would just mumble a “Yeah” and changed the subject.

Then the inevitable happened. You received a job posting to another town. Which means you had to move with your family to an apartment that would not accommodate a dog. But I believed you would never abandon me.

When you brought me out onto the car, I was so excited. I thought the old times had come back where you would bring me out for a spin once in a while. When we reached the dog pound, I was confused. Why were you bringing me here?

You handed me over to an officer and said, “I am sure you can find a good home for her.” Then you left without even looking at me. When your son cried saying, “Daddy, I want my dog! Don’t leave her here!” you soothed him by saying you would buy him his favourite toy. So that was all I was – a toy, and you taught your son that my life could be exchanged for a mere toy.

The officer kept me in a cage, all the while shaking her head and remarking that you had probably known about the move for quite some time, yet never bothered to find another home for me.

Time passed. Each time someone came, I was so excited thinking that you had come back for me, or even someone who would be willing to take me. When I saw the newcomers being brought back instead, my heart sank. The officer fed me very well, but I had lost my appetite long ago. I missed you and wondered when you were coming back for me.

But I know the fate of a middle-aged dog, even for one “with papers”. We would always be overlooked in favour of younger puppies that could be trained from young. Month after month passed with me seeing all the other dogs being taken away and no one wanted me.

One day, the officer brought me to the vet’s office. I saw her holding a syringe in her hand. She started to stroke me with tears in her eyes. She comforted me, telling me not to blame her for what she was about to do before injecting me with the syringe.

I felt my head spinning. My eyes were starting to close. The vet continued stroking me and crying. I gave a final swipe of my tail just when my eyes closed to tell her that I did not blame her. It was my master who had abandoned me, who had caused my death.

This story was written by an anonymous person, reflecting the fates of thousands of dogs in the American Dog Pound every year. It was written from the point of view of a typical dog, with a typical owner.

I really feel for the dog. I cannot imagine ever abandoning my Cookie or my cousin ever abandoning her dog. I cannot understand why some people want to have dogs only to abandon them later on.

The moral of the story is, if you want a pet, make sure it really is for a lifetime. Treat it with the utmost care like how you will treat a child. To adopt a pet then abandon it after a while is the cruelest and most irresponsible act ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

some people just have no choice, lah! they really cannot help it. just like some people are really afraid of animals. no use forcing

-kon

Diana said...

I agree with you, but here in Mexico is even worst. The people left their pets in the streets, it's supose that we have 1 dog in the streets for any 3 citizens.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...