Lilypie

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Shanghai Night!

My company's dinner last night was at the Grand Shanghai restaurant. The theme was 1930s Shanghai, thus we were asked to wear something oriental. There are still people who did not adhere to the dress code. Not able to find something oriental to wear is fine, but for a dinner, one should at least dress accordingly. There were people coming in T-shirt and jeans!

I wonder what our big Boss will say, seeing that he himself was in a formal suit, and the foreign guests all wore suits (for men) and evening gowns (for ladies). I feel that as employees, although we need not outshine the bosses in the clothes department, but at least wear something suitable for the occasion so as to give the due respect.

I was at the restaurant about 3:30pm. We were given a room behind the restaurant to change and makeup. The makeup artists arrived at about 4:00pm, and I happened to be the first to do my makeup and hair. Then I changed into the costume and we started rehearsing. At 6:00pm, we drummers went to help out at the reception.

It was a big event. We hired a host together with his own deejay, and a mini-Chinese Orchestra to keep us entertained while eating. The drums were the first segment, so we went on stage immediately after our big Boss finished his speech. I must say I was rather nervous as where I was on the stage, I was facing my superior directly. Luckily I managed to carry the whole thing through.

After the drumming, we went back to the room and I changed into my red and gold ensemble. The top fits me rather snugly, but the skirt was too long and loose that I had to use a belt inside. Hmmmm, if my mum's clothes can fit me well, then I really need to lose weight!

The food was good, although I missed the first two courses, the "Lo Hei" (now what is that in English?) and shark's fin soup. But if the shark's fin soup is authentic, then I am glad I gave it a miss!

After the fourth course, there was a fashion show, put up by twelve ladies of the company. It was like a fashion show, the models strutted on stage, went to mingle with the guests, went back and came out changed into another costume in record time, and finally all gathered on stage for the last pose.

After that, the deejay called for the five finalists for the Best-Dressed contest. Five guys and five ladies were called up. I was rather surprised I was one of those called, but on the other hand, no one else wore what I wore.

Each lady had to choose one of the five guys to be her partner. I chose this guy in authentic old oriental gear, complete with the "skirt" and vest. Incidentally, he is rather good-looking, but a pity he is married with two kids.

What we had to do was to dance and pose, then the VIPs (the bosses) would then vote for the best-dressed male and female respectively. The guy who partnered me won for the Best-Dressed Male, which was expected as there was really no competition, considering the rest of the guys wore only an oriental top with normal pants.

It was hard to choose the girls though, since ladies know how to dress. The judges could not decide, so the deejay decided to vote on popularity. The audience had to cheer each time his hand went above the head of the lady, and the one who got the loudest cheer won. The prize was finally given to this lady in an authentic 1930s Shanghai-style cheongsam, complete with the lace and shawl.

It was a fun and enjoyable night. Although I did not win anything, be it the Best-Dressed prize or the lucky draws, I really enjoyed myself. I hope I stay in the company long enough, then I can get to enjoy another formal dinner next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...