Lilypie

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Do Job Professions Matter?

I always find it amusing when I was registering at this dating website just for fun a few years back, the guys who came talk to me did so because I stated my profession as a “teacher”. Interesting people I came across.

Some said their fantasy is to make love to a teacher, some said they want a girlfriend or wife who is a teacher as teachers love children so will not mind giving birth to a lot, some said teachers are reserved and dowdy people, so to get a teacher to be wild is something exciting and challenging.

Needless to say, I stopped replying to all these. Sometimes I wonder if guys think girls who register on these dating websites are only out for flings? I really envy my friends who are able to find true love through cyberspace, since I only seem to meet the wrong kind of people.

I registered on the website just to expand my horizons as I just got out of a relationship and it was during the school holidays. My best friend met one of her exs through this website, so I decided to just give it a go. How was I to know this seemed to be a breeding ground for pests? Despite that, I did meet a few nice guys who are now my close friends, like K.

What I am amused about is that most of those guys who reply did so based on my profession. My photo, personality and hobbies are all stated, yet they did not bother reading the rest, and just started contacting me because I was a teacher. Is the type of job a girl is in one of the factors a guy looks for?

And why teachers anyway? I have guys who tell me teachers make the perfect girlfriend and wife. Is that so? How can teachers make the perfect partner if they are so busy with their work that they have practically no time for anything else?

When I tell them that teachers need a partner who is very understanding and not too demanding on his / her time, they were all taken aback. People always assume that teachers are very free. Not true! I actually have more of a life now that I am no longer teaching.

The thing is that not many people can understand that teachers are very busy and highly-stressed professionals. They are doing so much more work than most other normal professions, yet face more problems and paid much lesser. Which is why there is a high number of teachers who are single and never found partners. There simply is no time to go socialize around.

Those teachers who were attached before they entered the profession, in a lot of cases their relationship ended soon after, as the partner could not understand why he / she always had no time for her / him. Of course, some broke up for other reasons, but in most cases, they broke up due to time constraints.

Those who were not attached when they entered the profession, most of them remained unattached for life. A sad thing. And those who managed to get married ended up spending more time with other’s kids and families than their own. Another sad thing.

Thus, most teachers ended up marrying other teachers. Most of them met during their teacher training days, some met through school functions. But more often than not, it takes someone from the same profession to really understand each other, which is why teachers are each other’s perfect matches.

But teachers are not the only ones high up on a guy’s preferential girlfriend list. Nurses come close too. These guys are of the opinion that since these two professions are very “caring” in nature, so the girls who are in these lines normally make good girlfriends.

It is just stereotyping. A profession or a job is just that – a job. Some people take their jobs as their lives, but in most cases, most of us are separate from our jobs and ourselves. How I behaved towards my students was what was required in my job. I definitely do not behave the same way outside of school.

In fact, I do believe some teachers look for a guy who can take care of them, since they spend almost all their waking hours being care-givers to others. So when they go home or meet people, they will like to be the ones being taken care of at times, and who can blame them?

Girls have their own preference too. A lot of my friends want a guy who is a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer or an architect. Why? Because these people will be able to earn enough to give them a comfortable life. Perhaps, but then I always maintain that money is not everything.

But is profession such a big deal anyway? So does that mean that if I remain as a teacher, I can get more guys? But judging from the type of guys, I thank my lucky stars that I do not get to meet any more of them. And nowadays whenever I meet new guys, the first question my friends will ask is about his profession. What is the big deal?

It does not matter to me as long as both parties are in a decent job making an honest living. Does it mean that someone who is an engineer is any less qualified than someone who is a lawyer or a doctor? Or someone who is a business manager is less qualified than someone who is an architect?

Of course not. What matters is whether the person is a good and nice enough person to be with, and not just someone who only asks for flings. That is what most of the guys I meet nowadays do not understand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...