Lilypie

Sunday, February 5, 2006

Flowers : The Language Of Love And Romance?

I saw something very sweet yesterday. This young guy (probably around his mid-teens) was holding a bunch of flowers, and when his girlfriend approached, held out the flowers for her. She was so happy that she was on the verge of crying. She kept thanking him profusely. Nice to see a young man who knows how to make a girl happy.

Not that flowers necessary make a girl happy, but then, most girls like to be romanced. After all, on the wedding day, there will be flowers everywhere, on the car, as church pew decorations, altar decorations, in the ballroom, the bride’s bouquet, and some even wear flowers in their hair.

Guys always ask what is the point of giving flowers to his girlfriend since they wither so fast? I do not know about other girls, but when flowers wither, I will hang them upside down to dry them completely. Then I will keep the dried flowers with me by either decorating my room with them or press them one by one and make bookmarks.

Thus, withered flowers are useful. I make it a point never to throw away any bouquet given by any of my boyfriends. The only one I threw away was the one by my first ex. Actually the bouquet was not really thrown away. I had the roses planted in my garden but apparently somehow they never grew and the rose bush I was hoping for never came.

Girls are not asking for guys to give them flowers everyday. In fact, we do not wish to run a florist shop. All we are asking is for guys to give us flowers on special occasions like our birthdays or anniversaries. Valentine’s Day also, although I do not require it of the guy since Valentine’s flowers are very expensive.

Guys may not think it is a big deal, but it is a big deal to girls how much their guys are willing to make them happy. After all, girls view flowers as the language of romance, so receiving flowers from their guys will make them feel that their guys love them enough to woo them properly and romantically.

I must give credit to my second and third exs for giving me flowers every Valentine’s Day we had. My second ex’s bouquets were more generous. He would give me a minimum of three roses flanked by forget-me-nots and baby’s breath. One year I received as many as twelve red roses. The day he proposed to me, he gave me a bouquet of twenty red roses.

He did not give me flowers any other day, but he was sweet enough to give me flowers every Valentine’s Day even though I never asked for them, and sometimes during our anniversaries as well.

My third ex gave me a stalk of rose the day we got together, and every Valentine’s Day would give me a stalk of red rose. Although the hot flowers for romance and love are red roses (which actually mean “I Love You”), my ultimate favourite flowers are white lilies. I just find white lilies pure and simple, which is what I like my life to be like.

On the last day of my first Esplanade performance of “Madame Butterfly” last year, my third ex called me to meet him at the lobby after the performance and he surprised me with a huge bouquet of five white lilies. It was so unexpected that I cried when he gave me that.

I had to bring the bouquet along for the post-performance party with the rest of the cast, but I was so protective over the bouquet that I never allowed anyone to touch them.

The first bouquet of flowers I received was a bouquet of six red roses. I would not even say “receive” as I was the one who paid for them. What happened was that the day after Valentine’s Day, my first ex and I came across a shop selling flowers, and since the V-day was over, the flowers were marked down.

He asked me if I wanted some, which I nodded in the affirmative and was feeling so happy over that. Then he said since I wanted, choose the bouquet I liked. So I chose the bouquet of red roses, all the while feeling so happy and thought he was trying to make up for the disaster of a Valentine’s Day celebration the day before.

I should have known he would not be so good to me. He took the bouquet, asked for the price, then said since I wanted the flowers, I pay for them myself. I was too shocked to react. I could have just put the whole thing back, but since I was already holding the bouquet, I just paid for them.

He said that technically, he was the one who gave me the bouquet since he asked if I wanted it in the first place. Well…. asking is one thing. Buying them and giving to me is another thing.

Sometimes I wish I live in another country where the flowers can bloom very nicely. One hardly sees big flowers along our streets. The flowers in Australia are so beautiful and so big! How I wish I can get to see a smattering of lavender-coloured lavenders, or a perfectly pruned red rose bush, or big white lilies-of-the-valley.

There is another type of flowers I would love to see but they are already extinct almost everywhere except for Papua New Guinea and Fiji – the birds-of-paradise, those long orange-coloured flowers.

Every girl loves it when her guy gives her flowers, even me. But for me, it is not a requirement that the guy must give me flowers. As I said, other qualities are more important, but it always takes flowers to cheer me up when I am down or make me happier and top of the world, as every girl likes to be loved and pampered.

So now that Valentine’s Day is approaching, guys better book your orders for bouquets to give your girlfriends so they will be happy!

8 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

If I start growing some now, I might have bushes of roses to give by the time I might have the opportunity to :P

Anonymous_X said...

Guys may not think it is a big deal, but it is a big deal to girls how much their guys are willing to make them happy.

Seriously? What I experience is that the girl ends up feeling bad. Instead of appreciative. Hmm...wait, I forget the key word of 'their'. Darn! :-\

The Imp said...

actually, i would hit the roof if my guy buys me flowers on Valentine's Day. the flowers are ridiculously overpriced. we usually get the flowers on other days.

i have fresh flowers at home every week,so the novelty of bouquets don't work anymore. it's the little touches in everyday living that i really appreciate.

Burninator said...

some girls say that it is troublesome to carry a bouquet around

Erm no???

once my girlfriend said that, i never got her any flowers :p

Not that she is complaining. She is making and selling bouquets for this coming Valentine's day. Guys...flowers anyone?? :P

shakespeareheroine said...

Ole Wolvie : Please give me a branch if you do grow a rose bush so I can plant it in my garden. I always wanted a rose bush.

Anon_X : The girl felt bad? Really? Or maybe she thinks you're coming on to her, that's why she felt bad? Seriously, I'll be very appreciative if any guy gives me flowers, unless it's those guys I do not wish to talk to.

Imp : Ah that's true. It is the little touches in everyday life that truly matter.

Burninator : Really? Wa... that's a lucky girl, to be surrounded by flowers everyday.

Ole' Wolvie said...

As you can see...

Really hard to please gals :P

Don't buy, gana shoot.
Buy, gana shoot.

What to do? Grow them! (And they'll find something about the growing to complain about...)

gus said...

nope.. no bouquet for my wife this year :P

but something better :P

*surprise*

shakespeareheroine said...

Ole Wolvies : That depends on the way it's grown.

Gus : Really? Lucky wife!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...