Lilypie

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Alternate Realities

Is there such a thing as an alternative reality? Imagine if something happened in the past, it would have changed the entire course of events and history. What if I am never meant to lead this life? What if I was supposed to lead another life? What if an incident in my childhood caused my life to change completely?

Not that I had any life-changing events in the past, except for the one or two occasions which would have triggered a totally different series of events if certain things had or had not happened. But for example if my mum had not gone against my grandma's wishes and did not attend university. What then?

She would not have met my dad, nor given birth to me. Perhaps she would have met someone else and still given birth to me, but I would have been a different person since I was fathered by someone else. And perhaps my mum would have spent her life working as a clerk or secretary instead of a director just two ranks below the chief officer. Then I would have grown up in a totally different environment, lived in a normal flat and led a simpler life.

I would perhaps enjoy that more. Maybe it was the environment who shaped me, and being born more priviledged than a lot of people, I know there are times I take many things for granted. Perhaps growing up in a more humble background will make me a better person?

Looking back in history, I wonder if there were times when there could have been alternative realities. What if the French Revolution never occurred? What if there was no American Revolution? Or if William of Normandy never conquered England? Then what would have happened to the world? Would we still be considered third world, under-developed or developing countries?

Sometimes, perhaps an alternative reality would have been better. But then again, it could have been worse. For now, an alternative reality is only but an imagination, never to happen, unless somehow someone really invent a time machine someday and go back in time to change history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...