Lilypie

Friday, April 6, 2007

Good Friday Reflections

Now every Good Friday, I remember my baptism and started reflecting on what I have done since then. There have been more sins than goodness, more struggles than smoothness. I never had a smooth journey in the first place, but I always thought once I get baptised, it would get smoother but I ended up with more struggles. Maybe it is a way of test so I would not take anything for granted.

I attended Mass in the morning, with the Stations of the Cross. Somehow, only during Good Friday and Christmas Midnight mass will the church be exceptionally full. It seems that anyone who never attends the regular Sunday masses will suddenly appear on Good Friday and Christmas midnight masses. But there are people who go to church only once or twice a year. That is not to say they do not behave in a good way. There are others who go to church every week, or more than once a week, showing such piousness, yet are the ones living the most sinful ways.

There have been people who condemn those who never attends church. Who are we to judge anyway? Does it mean to say that those who attend church regularly will go to Heaven and those who do not will go to Hell? Do our behavour not count for all? One can go to church so regularly but in the end doing all kinds of evil outside and living an un-Christian like way as possible. There are those who never go to church regularly but is always filled with goodness and love. Does it mean the former will then go to Heaven and the latter will burn in Hell?

I missed the Maundy Thursday Mass yesterday. Initially I thought there was a gathering but it was cancelled. Anyway, I stayed a bit late in the office to clear up some stuff amidst the renovation works going on. So I missed Mass. I feel bad for missing Mass, and said my own prayers. But at times I feel, as church-goers, do we have to go to every service? I am not saying we miss a service or Mass deliberately, but for working people or students, what if we miss church because of an urgent deadline? Or what if someone is in confinement after giving birth so is not allowed to step out of the house for a month or so? What if we are overseas for a while and missed the regular Masses as a result?

Every time the Easter weekend comes along, I always have so many questions, which no one can answer. Those pious ones will say that we have to go to church no matter what happens, even if we have to forsake our family outings, or grandparents or parents' birthday celebrations, or get fired from our jobs for not meeting deadlines, or even when we are overseas, we must find a church to go to when Sunday or other special occasion comes along. But in the reality of life, is it really possible to attend every single service or Mass, besides the regular Sunday ones? Will we then be condemned if we do not?

Have a great Easter weekend!

1 comments:

Richard said...

I suggest you pick up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

It says: The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Basically, you cannot just miss mass because you didn't feel like going.

There is n o magical formula for salvation. Just going to church is not enough, just doing good works is not enough, just prayer is not enough. It is a whole life devotion to God.

But ... it does not have to be dull and dreary wither.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...