Lilypie

Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Arena

So "The Arena" has ended, and the general public is not that happy with the verdict. I have not watched every episode, so I cannot comment if the judges are really impartial. But watching the series (as and when I was able to catch it) gave me a sense of deja vu as I was reminded of the time when I took part in debating competitions back in school.

I always find it fun to debate as one can gather so much more knowledge from the research we had to do, the facts we had to put together and the teamwork and cooperation everybody was involved in. That was when we had to really work in a team because we had to coordinate who would make the opening speech, the closing speech, how to bring our points across effectively without going into any personal attacks.

That was the period of time when I really learnt a lot about politics, current events, pressing issues around the world, how to improve our way of life. We got to debate on the problems teenagers and school kids face, whether there should be streaming, whether a polytechnic or junior college education was better. Even though I only took part in four debating competitions, (with surprise that I was Best Speaker once), I felt then that for the first time in my life, I actually learnt something from school other than just normal lessons.

Just a pity there does not seem to be any debates open to adults, only school kids and under graduates. I would so love to take part and relive my memories again!

1 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

I caught segments of The Arena when travelling on the bus. It was quite horrible.

To me, a debate is an activity where people attempt to convince other people that their opinion/stand is the better one.

The speakers mostly were only speed-talking. Many were not articulate, and I find it really hard to understand the points they are trying to put across.

What is a debate when you can't even be understood?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...