Lilypie

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Planting A Tree

I just got back my second assignment, and it was a disaster! :-( Hopefully the assignment I just submitted could help to pull my grades up a bit, otherwise this module will be a disaster as well! Perhaps it is my fault, for studying subjects like this that have no right or wrong answers. Maybe if I am more mathematically or scientifically inclined, perhaps I can do much better, since there is a higher chance of having a perfect score.

I was involved in the Corporate Tree Planting event organised by my company last week. This was to commemorate Earth Day, and we were supposed to plant about fifty trees (or more) throughout the year. So, a group of us went to one of the nature parks one afternoon and participated in the tree planting.

Firstly, we were briefed on the type of trees native to the island. We were even given handouts indicating the names of the trees and their features. Then, we were instructed on the steps to tree-plating, ie digging, breaking the soil, putting the tree in, covering up. Apparently, the young trees were taken from somewhere else, with the roots covered in soil, and transferred to the spot(s) where they were to be planted.

I proceeded on the digging of the hole first with the hoe provided. The hole had to be about one and a half metres deep. Whilst digging, my hoe hit a lot of old roots and gigantic red ants started crawling out! Eeeeeeeek! The soil was still damp, and I could never imagine the things that got buried inside! Luckily there were no centipedes or earthworms!

After the hole had been dug, we waited for the trees to arrive. They came via a big lorry, the roots wrapped in plastic. I chose a tree and started tearing out the plastic. Since the tree was very heavy, I dragged it across the ground instead of carrying it. But when I came to my hole, the tree was too big to be put inside.

We were then told to break away the soil covering the roots to make the tree fit. So I started breaking away the soil with my hoe. I had to break away a sizeable chunk before my tree could finally be planted into the hole. The next step was to cover up the hole with the soil which we dug out.

So we took the smaller shovel and started covering the hole, making sure that the tree was firmly planted and vertical. After covering the hole, we had to flatten the soil, water the tree and the soil around it for it to grow, then leave out mark on the tree.

First time in my life I planted a tree! Although it was nothing much, but it was a good and enriching experience all the same. But after this attempt, the conclusion is that I can never be a gardener!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...