Lilypie

Monday, April 30, 2007

Freedom Writers

This was supposed to be updated two weeks back, as that was when I watched the movie. But too many things happened. Anyway I better start writing about this before it slips my mind completely. Freedom Writers is a moving show about how an idealistic teacher gave her all to her students, always believing in them, never giving up.

I can relate this show to our local education system. How problematic students are always labelled as "not interested" and "rebellious", never as good as those students from the best class or honour rolls. Thus, the best class always gets the best teachers, and those from the tail-end classes will be given the most inexperienced teachers.

The show tugs at my heartstrings because it reminded me of my teaching days. Sometimes I wish this show was shown a few years back, then I could have taken some tips from the teacher and been better to my students, better as a teacher. It is true no matter how "bad" the students are, they are only rebellious because they are unhappy.

Some could be unhappy because their parents were too busy working to take care of them. Some were from broken homes and shuttled between foster parent to foster parent. Some had even more complicating backgrounds, like a few fathers and a few mothers. Come to think of it, for any kid growing up in a dysfunctional family, it is no wonder he / she had so much hatred and bitterness in his / her young mind.

The show always mentions about the inflexibility of the education system. I thought only our local schools are like that, sticking with syllabus, and caring more on results instead on the real learning and enriching of the students. Just because the students are weak in their results, they get written off as "bad" students, and the school or education board will not bother to spend money for activities outside the classroom, or on resources, as these normally go to the better students.

Honestly, every student is teachable. It all depends on whether they are given a chance. If one treats students as such - disinterested, rebellious scum, then they will behave as such. I guess as teachers, one has to try the best to bring out the best in the students, and parents have to understand and give support too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...