Lilypie

Monday, April 12, 2010

Of Body Hair ...

Last week my colleagues and I were talking about body hair. The men were asked, if they were dating a girl with long prickly armpit hair, would they ask her to shave?

There were mixed responses. One said he would not even date a girl with armpit hair protruding out, one said he would not say anything, one said he would date her but would casually drop hints asking her to shave.

Personally I am not born with silky smooth skin. My first brother is. His legs and arms are so bare and smooth. He does not even have noticeable facial hair! It makes me wonder if he even has hair.

My youngest brother is the opposite, like a typical man. Whereas I am unfortunate enough to have body hair in my arms, legs and underarms. Hence the frequent shaving, especially when I intend to wear something sleeveless or something knee-length.

How I wish I am those girls who have total smooth and silky skin that they naturally do not need to shave! Which makes me wonder, if we girls are born with body hair, do we even need to shave? After all, men can have unruly body hair and leave it as it is!

I guess because if men have body hair, they feel manly and macho. Whereas if a girl has body hair, people will look away in disgust. She will be criticised as having bad grooming habits. Body hair on a female is a turn off, at least to many men!

To me, the main reason why I tend to get rid of undesired hair is the hygiene factor. If the hair grows and clumps up, bacteria will form and we may end up having infection on our skin. Thus getting rid of body hair is a good way of keeping clean and prevents bacteria and germs.

Having said that, is it really a big deal if a female does not get rid of undesired hair? How many a times have you heard that if a woman is wearing something sleeveless with hair under her armpits, or if she is wearing a knee-length skirt with hair on her legs, people will always remark in disapproval that she should just shave?

I have never really heard of anyone remarking that a man should shave even if he is wearing a tank top with hair protruding out of his armpits or he is wearing shorts showing off very thick hairy legs. Why so?

Is it because it is still considered ugly for a woman to have hair? So if a woman does not shave, will any man date her? Yet if a man does not shave, women will still date him.

This probably shows men still focus on looks and overall image before they decide to date a girl while women are able to look beyond a man's physical image. But that should not be the way, is it not? A person should be liked for who he / she is and not just on physical appearances, grooming and image. Unfortunately not many are able to do that as most tend to judge on first appearances.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...