Lilypie

Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Lovely Bones

I managed to watch a few movies the past three weeks but do not have the time to update. These are all overdue but I thought I better do it before I forget everything.

Of all the shows, the one with the most impact is "The Lovely Bones". It tells the story of how a teenage girl was murdered and her spirit rose up into the in-between where she watches on as her murderer got his just deserts and her family broke apart and started to heal.

Which makes me wonder, how do people deal with death? I ever reflected that when a person dies, what he was in life is best seen during his wake. I attended a wake last year on the demise of a friend's father. He was only in his sixties.

But he must have impacted a lot of people when he was alive, because there were many people who went for his wake when they heard about his demise.

Similarly, when I see the number of visitors my grandma has everyday and the number of people who called up asking about her, I know she has impacted a lot of people when she was young, that these same people still show respect to her and teach their children and grandchildren to show the sane respect to her.

I know in the event she passes on (touch wood!), her wake will be full of people in attendance. These people will be those she had impacted, with their children and grandchildren in tow.

When my grandpa passed away, the three day wake at my place was full of people. My parents provided dinner for those visitors and everyday, both my living and dining rooms were full of people. I did not realise it then but now I know my grandpa himself had made an impact on many people in his younger days.

I am ashamed to say I have never made an impact on anyone the way my grandparents did. Maybe when I pass on, no one will notice and I will just die an old, lonely death. But if I ever pass on, I hope to be able to die peacefully when I am still healthy and not become bedridden and be a burden to others.

It is one thing taking care of my grandma and perhaps my parents next time, but I will not want nor expect my younger generation (if any) to do the same thing to me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...