Lilypie

Saturday, April 10, 2010

What Does Being Filial Mean To Me?

I was supposed to go for the second follow-up to the recent CHOICE weekend today but because there was no one around except my maid and I, I had to help take care of my grandma.

Many years back, when my late grandpa was diagnosed with dementia and his bodily functions started deteriorating, my parents put him in a nursing home and visited him every week. This went on for more than a year before he was hospitalized and passed away in the hospital.

At that point in time, the ten-year-old me wondered how could my parents be so cruel to put my grandpa in a nursing home? They kept teaching me about filial piety and respect yet why did they not practice it?

Now I fully understand. It is hard to take care of an elderly and frail person. More care and more energy have to be put in. For instance, ever since my grandma was hospitalized, our lives changed. Instead of going home after work and resting during the weekends, we took turns going to the hospital to look after her.

Now that she is home but bed-ridden and wheelchair-bound, more adjustments have to be made. In the past we could go on our lives as per normal but now we have to be vigilant and check in get every once in a while.

In the past, we just need someone to stay in the house to ensure nothing happens but now we need two persons around - one to feed her and one to help in cleaning her.

Thank goodness that we are all grown up now so my maid only needs to take care of my grandma! At least we have a full-time caretaker at home so it is not too worrying for us.

In the past, there were three young kids, two elderly and two adults who worked full-time. My parents and my maid had their hands full taking care of us. They did not have the energy looking after an old and sickly elderly man.

Hence they did the thing they could - put him in a place where he could receive full-time medical care. And who could blame them?

My parents, especially my mum, are a living example of what filial piety and respect are. This is a lesson they have imparted to me. I only wish when the time comes, I can show the same piety to my parents and in-laws too.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...