Lilypie

Friday, April 23, 2010

Time Out ....

We had not gone out for quite some time, at least not out just by ourselves, so on the spur of the moment, we went to this place which I happened to stumble upon last night. It is not somewhere grand, tucked away near both our workplaces, but it turns out better than expected. (For a detailed review, check out our food blog.)

I never know how much I missed just some time out with him, dining and wining. It may not necessary be anything great, but just a simple night out and a simple dinner will do. I can fully understand why some married couples say they have no time for each other, because with work and other commitments, one really do not have that much time to spend on our own, let alone with a significant other. Plus by the time we knocked off from work, we are so tired that we really want to just go home and rest and relax, and not do anything else. So I can kind of relate why some couples drift apart.

But the thing is, a relationship takes more than just seeing each other everyday. One need not have to see each other everyday to survive (although we have been seeing each other everyday, since we live and work so near to each other and involved in the same activities together). But the important thing is, even if we do not see each other nor call each other (at times when we are both tired, we just go to bed without calling each other), still somehow we know we are there for each other.

I guess it is no longer those lovey-dovey kinds of love which the sticky youths always extoll in, but more of a kind of security and commitment that even though we are not the sticky kinds nor the dramatic kinds, we can still last. Love is more than just gazing at each other's eyes and declaring "I love you" everyday to each other and to the whole world. It is the mentality of being together despite ups and downs.

Is he perfect? Definitely not. He still irritates me with his idiocy at times. But neither am I perfect. I daresay I irritate him to no end with my own idiocy too. But he is something I am not - tolerant. He tolerates my antics and quirks much more than I tolerate him. I think I have to worry about him leaving me for someone more demure, accommodating and soft-spoken than the other way round!

Yet he still sticks with me, not because there is no better person, because this is what a relationship is about. One does not just accept the good side of the person, but also tolerates the bad side, the quirks, the idiocy, the antics, the temper (in my case), the high expectations. Similarly, no matter how much he irritates me and how I lose my temper and patience, I still stick with him, because I know if I lose him, I will never be able to find another person that is so right for me, despite whatever gripes I have.

No relationship is without problems. Similarly, no human being is perfect. Even when a couple marries each other, they may not even know each other fully even after fifty years. Because people change. Circumstances change. Situations change. One cannot expect a sixty-year-old man to be the same as thirty years ago. Family, responsibility and old age do take a toil on everyone.

It is for each of us individual to adapt to the changes and situations, accommodate and tolerate, and make the most of it, and not just give up just because we run into problems. That, I guess, is the main way of how a relationship can last.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...