Lilypie

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Demon Possession?

"The Rite" is a true story about demon possession, and how a young sceptical priest-in-training had to believe before he could successfully exorcise the demon. At the end of the credits, it was stated that out of all the priests in the United States, only less than ten percent are exorcists.

Is demon possession really possible? Under what circumstances do one get possessed by the devil or evil spirit? Here, we have a series of books known as the "True Ghost Stories", but just how many of the stories are really true, no one actually knows. If anything, I believe those stories are more to entertain than to scare.

There used to be a very scary show called "The Exorcist". This was during my parents' era. I remember years ago, there was the tenth or so anniversary of "The Exorcist" and the cinemas were showing that movie again. I asked my parents to bring me to watch the show, and my mum absolutely forbade, citing the reason that it is too scary and will bring untold damage to my mind.

My boyfriend told me when he was watching "The Exorcist", his flat actually shook, as if there really was something there. His is a Catholic house, and maybe that is what saved him. Since then, he never touched that show ever again.

A few years back, there was the Novena exorcism saga. A lady who claimed to be possessed, asked one of the priests in the Church of St Alphonsus (otherwise known as the Novena Church), to perform an exorcism. I am not sure what entailed, but this case became a big case because the priest was sued for wrongful exorcism which triggered off emotional damages. The case went to court and during the few days' hearing, many Catholics went to sit in for the trial.

If I am not mistaken, I believe the court ruled in favour of the priest, as there was no evidence that the woman was really possessed, or she was just faking all her actions. Which makes me wonder, how is there going to be any evidence of demon possession? Do you have to fly or crawl on the ceiling or turn your head a full circle before people are convinced?

I shudder to imagine what a real demon possession will be like. I hope never to come across things like this in the course of my life!

2 comments:

Ahmad Sukri said...

It is scary watching how the demons pushed the physical limit of the person possessed. The demons make them do things, that I can say, will break the bones..imagining the patient having their head turned 360 degrees, hand twisted to the back..that's horrible

juphelia said...

Hi! Yeah, I agree. Although I am still unsure whether that is real or just very special effects.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...