Lilypie

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Meeting The Matriarch

Today we had the usual Lunar New Year dinner gathering with my mother's side. What make it even more special is that my mother invited my boyfriend along. She resisted for more than a year, always asking me to go alone to her family's gathering without my boyfriend, as she was afraid my maternal grandmother would not be happy. But this time round, she invited him along, which shows that she has accepted him as part of the family!

When my relatives started streaming in, I was apprehensive how my grandmother would react. My dear had learned Chinese until GCE 'O' Levels, but since he is not a Chinese and does not speak, he has not utilised the language for a long time. Hence he felt nervous greeting and conversing with my grandmother too.

But when my mother introduced them, my grandmother was all smiles. She asked about his race, and my mother explained that he is considered Eurasian, albeit darker skin than normal. Throughout dinner, he mingled with the rest of my family, and all gave him a red packet, including my grandmother. She even smiled and said goodbye to him when she left!

Looks like everything is turning out well! Now I only hope his family is just as receptive. Seems like there is still quite a lot of work to do for his side!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...