Lilypie

Monday, February 28, 2011

What Is A Perfect Couple?

I always admire those "perfect couples" around. Of course, perfect couples do not mean that their lives are perfect. Life is always full of ups and downs, happiness and sadness, quarrels and make ups. A perfect couple simply means someone of a "fairytale" romance, who loves each other deeply and work things out despite facing all the ups and downs.

I have come across a few "perfect couples" in my lifetime so far. One is my elder cousin. Hers was not exactly "love at first sight" or the "fairytale romance". She met the guy who would be her future husband at a dance class whom she brought some of her female friends along. Coincidentally he brought some of his male friends along for the dance class. One of the girls know one of the guys so the whole group went out together, had fun, group chatted and essentially just hung out.

Then cupid struck. Since then they have been inseparable. He would accompany her wherever she went, went to her place to mingle and help out her parents, went to my grandmother's place and mingled with my extended relatives, spend every Christmas, New Year and public holidays with her, and essentially was so into her. He would bring us cousins out as and when and is like an elder brother to me.

It is not as if he has lots of time to spare, he has a full time job too, yet he spent all his time with her. I used to think this is the kind of guy I would like - someone so into me that he really makes me feel so loved all over and so well taken care of.

Then my younger cousin who is recently married. She least expected to be with someone who was not even from the same country, much less he. But a chance meeting led them to know each other, and since then they were also inseparable, shuttling between here and down under ever so often.

This made me feel ashamed of my own fellow man. I have heard of relationships who break up simply because one went on a month's business trip or the person need to travel often for work. Or relationships who break up simply because they guy found the girl too "demanding". Or they did not like each other's family members.

Why did the guy never once thought he was demanding? We have people who do not see each other for weeks and months on end, yet still could end up getting married and being so in love with each other. How can little things like "I don't like this movie but you like so we are not compatible", or "I cannot take you travelling so often", or "I don't like your parents" even be an issue to anyone?

I cannot profess that I am in the perfect relationship myself. We definitely did not start off as a fairy tale. In fact I did not want to have anything to do with him in the beginning. Even now, I would not say he is that into me, as in yes, he accompanies me, willing to mingle with my family members, nice to me, but he is not the initiative or proactive type. He is the super laid-back kind of guy, so much so that he never bothers actually taking action to do anything on his own initiative. Many a times, I have to tell him what to do before he knows what he needs to do.

And his parents. They are really getting on my nerves with their emotional blackmails and their unreasonable behaviours. But still, being in a relationship is not about loving the perfection of the person and family, but being able to bear the imperfection. So just give and take and tolerate.

A perfect couple is what the couple makes of it. No one is that lucky to be in such a perfect relationship, but it is how we make out of it. We cannot have what we want all the time, but we can make the most of what God gave us, and work things out amongst ourselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...