Lilypie

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Series Of Interviews

Tomorrow I will be taking a day off to attend a series of interviews. Here I go again! Brings back those days where I was desperate for a job and went for interviews after interviews. The only difference is that this time round, I did not even apply for those jobs! Different headhunters approached me and I told them I could only take a day off so have to schedule them all within one day!

Those jobs are for regional posts in multi national corporations. They have stated their budget so a fifty percent increase is within the range. And the posts are permanent, no hassle of getting any approved headcount whatsoever! Besides, I could tell them when I wanted to go for the interviews and they acceded to my timing! There is a difference between applying for a job and the job comes looking for you!

It is rather strange that companies are looking for people right now. Or put it in another way, that people are leaving right now. Afterall, it is the year-end period, people would want to hold on for just a couple of months to get a big stipend, is it not? Even with the economic downturn and those in the banking industries are being hit the most, still, there would be some stipend, albeit not as much as before.

Or perhaps those big companies are expanding even more. There are companies who are still doing well at this time. It may be madness to go into the financial services industry now, but other industries are not affected that badly, especially those industries that have a niche of their own.

For instance, one of the companies I am going for interview is a large technology firm. This is one industry that is still booming as technology is always evolving. They need someone with intellectual property background (which is something I like and am familiar with), besides the normal legal work. And if I get in, I will get to travel too!

Another company is in the oil and gas industry, one of the providers of lubricants for the recent Formula One event. With gas prices the way they are now, it is a good industry to be in. Another company is a world leader in scientific, clinical and medical research. This is one industry that will never go out of business, no matter how the times are like. People get sick at any time, any where, and new advancements in medical and healthcare is always in demand.

Another company which I actually turned down twice, but they still insisted on meeting me, is in the financial services industry – an insurance firm to be exact. In the first place, the job scope, although legal and compliance related, is rather unfamiliar to me. Not that I mind because there are always challenges, but the job scope sounds much more mundane and boring as compared to the rest.

Why must I change a job only to end up doing more mundane work? If I am to move, besides the remuneration and permanent position part, the job must also be attractive enough. Why must I continue being stagnated and doing routine jobs? I may as well stick with my current job if that is the case! Besides, I do not feel comfortable going into the financial services industry. Nevertheless, since I have turned them down twice and they still wanted to meet me (I really wonder why?), I will just go for the interview just to see how the company is like. No harm there.

I was conversing with a friend last night when he suddenly asked me, “Do you really hate your company so much that you must absolutely leave at this time?” Erh… what a weird question! If any one else tells me he / she is going for a series of interviews, the first thing is to congratulate the person and wish him / her all the best, right?

The reason people go for interviews or look for jobs is because they feel there are no more prospects in the company, so wish to pursue something better and gain more exposure. Now that opportunities are knocking at my door, why would I turn them down? Besides, these are just interviews. There is no guarantee I may get a good offer (based on my previous experience), or that I may even get any offer in the first place!

Going for interviews do not equate that I hate my company and need to leave now! If I get an offer which I cannot refuse, it makes sense to leave, but until then, I am just exploring my options. It is not as if I have resigned or planning to resign any time soon, even without a job!

As I said, even if I do not get any offers, I will just stay in my current company doing the same thing. Right now, even though I am bored, there is still no absolute push and pull factor for me to leave. In fact, the greatest pull factor for me to stay is that I am still a full-time salaried employee, and not about, nor able to afford, to change the status anytime soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...