Lilypie

Friday, October 10, 2008

Toastmasters, United

I have been checking out some Toastmasters Clubs lately, and came across a really good one. It is not a sudden whim of fancy that I am joining toastmasters. In fact, I have been rather interested since young, but due to other commitments, was unable to make a full commitment to attend the meetings on a regular basis. Then, other things came along so I pushed that thought to the back of my mind.

Recently, due to the various job interviews I went to, I decided if I am to work in a big global company, I need to polish up on my presentation, speaking and communication skills. Not to be proud or anything, but I believe I am rather articulate, much better than a lot of people. Still, there are rooms for improvement. And if I am to speak with native speakers in an open and outspoken culture, there is a lot of polishing up to do!

Thus, the Toastmasters. To improve one's articulation, public speaking, presentation and confidence. What better way to speak with confidence and gain people's trust, attention and cooperation than to deliver a coherent and interesting speech? If I am the listener, I will not want someone who struggles with every word, who is not able to convey the message in the briefest form possible, and who lacks confidence in convincing people. So if I am to be noticed, I must get noticed in the first place!

Anyway, this is just some research. It is not the right time to join as yet, considering members have to pay an annual membership fee. I will have to wait until next year and a trial session to see if I am willing to make this commitment. But if I want to improve, some commitments have to be made. I am already not intelligent enough, otherwise I will be in MENSA, so the next alternative is to be articulate enough to show my capabilities!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...