Lilypie

Monday, October 13, 2008

Cost Cutting ....

When times are bad, the public feels it the worst. All extras (dining out, investment, et al) are cut down. I saw this from my company’s exhibition yesterday. Last year, the place was booming. People streamed in and out. Everyone was so busy that I had to stand in as a sales person as well, to answer queries and convince potential investors how good the investment would be.

This year, the exhibition was hardly what one could call a success. I was not there on Saturday, but I was told there was only one reservation. Yesterday, there was hardly anyone. People came by, but there was no crowd at all. The place looked really empty and depressing. In the end, there were only two reservations for the entire weekend! Last year’s turnout was better than expected. This year, it was worse than expected, that now I heard the overseas exhibitions may be cancelled.

Everywhere, everyone is cutting costs. Even big reputable companies are cutting costs, that they are either retrenching some staff or freezing headcounts. In this case, I really worry about my job! Even if I may or may not be leaving, I worry that in the event I do not get another job, I may end up losing this job as well!

After all, when companies are downsizing or freezing headcount, they tend to get rid of the “redundant” staff within departments, and who can be more “redundant” than the least qualified professional? Wonder if I still have a job when I return? Everything happens at such times! I wonder if I can still sail by my “remaining days” smoothly and have a smooth-sailing “turning of decade”?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...