Lilypie

Friday, October 17, 2008

Of Professional Headhunters

The job which I turned down at the American company is still not taken. The company has called me again to see if I still want to take it up, but it will still be on the same terms, which I do not feel comfortable about. Thus, I turned them down again.

Now another headhunter has approached me on the same job. All in all, three headhunters have approached me for the same job. Honestly, they need someone for the job, yet they do not want to give good terms, especially in light of the economic uncertainty. Who is willing to risk going to a contract job, albeit promise of permanency, but no guarantee when?

Having said that, I cannot help but make a comparison with the different headhunters around. Some are from big established companies, some are homegrown companies, but after dealing with quite a number of them, I have seen the difference between professionalism and non-professionalism.

The first headhunter who approached me for the job is not professional. He is only concerned about getting the deal. Afterall, if I accept the job, he will take a certain percentage of my annual package. When I told him my concerns about the reluctance to take up the job, all he told me was how good the company is, how good a learning ground it is. Yes, I know it is a good company, yes I know there are lots of exposure. But the terms are really not worth it. Yet he never addresses my concerns, only keep pushing me and trying to convince me I will be working for a good company!

When the second headhunter called me and I told him I turned down the job, he asked me why and I told him the reason. He said he knows where I am coming from. That I deserve more in terms of remuneration, that I should ask for more. He said he even told the company it is hard to find someone if they are only willing to give a six month contract position. He says he can fight for me but that will be a conflict of interest since it was the first headhunter who sort of got me the job. Now that is professionalism – addressing the candidate’s concern instead of just trying to push a sale!

The third headhunter also said the same thing as the second one when he called me for the job and I told him I turned it down. The thing is, the third headhunter called me just yesterday, when I turned down the job again because they are simply not going to budge on their terms. So it seems they really have a problem finding someone! There have been other headhunters calling me for other jobs.

One headhunter said she understands this is the end of the year and I am awaiting my bonus and increment, so it must be a very attractive offer for me to move. So she feedbacked to the company which she sent me to and they said they understand. Another one who got me the interview today also understands my concerns, and said she had already spoken to the company and they are aware.

Thus, I conclude that a good and professional headhunter should possess the following qualities :
1. Honesty
2. Integrity
3. Openness
4. Helping the company and the candidate to the best of the ability and expertise
5. Understand the market and industry very well
6. Not solicit

And these are the headhunters one should continue working with, and not those who are only concerned about getting a deal, rather than actually addressing the candidate’s concerns!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...