Lilypie

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Asking For Respect ....

All I want is to be treated with respect. Is that even so hard to ask? Like I do not go around gossiping about everybody else, so why must they do this to me? Fine, the mouths are theirs, they can say anything they like, so I never bother making such big issues out of what people say. But when people are downright biased, it is a bit hard to bear.

The moment I joined this company and I was put in the storage room, I was already a bit taken aback, because of all the companies I worked in, this was the only place that put me in a storage room! Gives people the impression that I am treated as a lowlife! Still, I did not really care where I was sitting. Then I was shifted everywhere. Fine, so be it. I do not really care as long as I have a place to sit, even though part of me did wonder why only me? Why not anyone else?

The last time I needed to shift, I was put into the seat where another department is, and now it has been almost a year, they have been resenting the fact that I am there. I am not allowed to use their printer even though it is next to me, so whenever I have to print I have to walk quite a distance to the big printer. This is all fine and dandy.

Now they recently upgraded their printer, and it is put next to me again. The printer is rather heavy-going, so when documents are being printed, the smell is quite unbearable. It is rather unhealthy to smell ink the whole day! When the person behinds me shifted place recently, the cleaner was so helpful to help her clean the table. Yet when I needed my table cleaned, I had to do it myself. Whenever I shifted place, I had to bring my entire computer and everything else with me!

When I had things to pack, the workers got so resentful that they made me buy food for them in return! Which is still fine, as I intended to buy them drinks anyway! Then when I actually bought them coffee for helping me, they returned the drinks to me. When I requested for a heavy-going printer for my department, I was only given an old printer, and was threatened that I could only change the printer once, so if I was not satisfied with that, there would be no more!

Whenever we managed to find a place to store our documents, after a while we were asked to shift again. Worse is other departments shirked their responsibilities and dumped everything on us. Then when their things go missing, they blame me for it. Am I supposed to track their things too?

Now something that someone from another department has been handling, had gone wrong. This case was about ten years back, long before my time. My department was not even in charge of that! But because I am supposed to be the “document person”, people came looking for me. I have the original documents, but I will not have all the correspondence relating to that, and the correspondence is what they need! If people did not even want to keep their own things, why blame me? Am I supposed to be a “babysitter” to everyone?

Worst thing is that I have a big problem trying to get in touch with one of our overseas lawyers. Sending him emails and calling him simply do not work! He does not respond to any of my emails, and whenever I call him there will never be an answer. How can a law firm not have anyone?! This happened to my counsel and some other colleagues as well. When we complained to our Managing Director, he said he would call, and when he called, he happened to get the lawyer. Wonder if phone numbers are tracked and he chose to answer the calls of whoever he wished?

We really needed to reach him on some issues, but after several emails with no response, we tried calling him again. When I called him yesterday morning, a lady answered and asked me to hold. Then she asked who I was, and I identified myself. She put me on hold again and then told me he just left for court.

Hmmm…. sounds like he is avoiding my call! So I asked what time he would be in, and she said about eleven local time. So I called about twelve local time, and the lady said he was not in the office yet. I thought he went to court in the morning, so why would he not be in the office yet?! Then when I called a few hours later, no one picked up the phone again! Sounds really fishy to me!

Just as well I am going for another interview this Friday. Each time when I thought things have died down, along comes something else! If this goes on, I really should just move!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...