Lilypie

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Mixed Wedding

During the weekend, I attended the wedding of two fellow cathechists, who met each other in cathechism. They were in the same class so met each other's eyes. By this, I mean the two of them were conducting the same cathechism session to the kids, not the two kids getting married. It was a journey of slightly more than two years, and the proposal was about one and a half years after they got together.
 
Why is this a mixed wedding? The groom is local Chinese, the bride is Filippina. She came here to work as a single lady, and the year she decided to serve the church and conduct cathechism, it was the year she met her husband. How lucky!
 
Even though this is a mixed couple, the wedding is very Chinese style. As in there is still the tea ceremony, the traditional banquet, and then of course the full church wedding mass since both families are catholics. The church wedding was held at the very church I was baptised and confirmed in, and the bride looked so beautiful and regal walking down the long aisle of the church. Incidentally, this is also the church I always thought I want to marry in.
 
The church and high tea reception was on Saturday, and dinner banquet was yesterday. During the banquet, the bride and groom had fun with the speeches, and their family members performed for them and made speeches too. The bride even threw a surprise birthday party for the groom as his birthday is approaching. The groom's parents even praised the bride and said how honoured they were to have her joining their family.
 
I do not know about others, but I always love attending weddings. I know many singles may not feel the way I do, because whenever they receive a wedding invitation, they will get depressed and think about their own status. Hence many singles prefer not to accept the invitation to attend a wedding, especially since they will be going on their own.
 
But to me, I feel the wedding is for the bride and groom, and not on myself. Afterall, when people share their joy with you, the last thing you should do is to focus on yourself, is it not? Which is why I do not understand why people make a wedding invitation into some fiasco where they must cater the kind of food, go according to the kind of timing, and send according to the kind of invitation other people want, and not what the bride and groom wants.
 
I have a friend who told me, he will not accept any email or facebook invitations for a wedding. He says if people are sincere enough to invite him, they will have to call him personally. I told him that is not feasible, because if the couple is going to invite three hundred guests, are they able to call all three hundred guests? He is rather adamant on his stand, he says email and facebook invitations are so impersonal, if the couple really wants to invite him, then why can they not show their sincerity by calling him?
 
Personally, I feel if the couple even think about inviting me to share the happiest day of their lives and the start of the rest of their lives, I will be so honoured! Does the mode of invitation really matter? It is the couple's choice after all, who is anyone to dictate how and why the couple should or should not send out their invitations?
 
The same friend also said, he would not bother turning up early to a wedding dinner. He would only leave his house at eight and reach the venue around nine. He says after all the wedding reception would not start early anyway.
 
Well.. it is people like these who spoil the couple's joy! Wedding receptions do start on time nowadays, especially for those I have attended in recent years. The banquet manager will shoo us into the ballroom five minutes before the stipulated time, and the bridal couple would then start marching in right on time, or the most five to ten minutes later. Gone are those days where the wedding reception start an hour later than what is stated.
 
Anyway back to why I love going for weddings, because I can see the intense love the couple has for each other. Somehow, every wedding I attended, I find the couple so right for each other. Do not ask me how I know, I can tell. There has been no wedding I attended where the bride and groom look unhappy, except for one, and that ended in divorce. In all the other weddings I attended, I can see how much the groom loves the bride and that he is willing to do everything for her because he really wants to marry her and take care of her.
 
Is that not just beautiful? To be able to find a man who loves you enough to marry you and take care of you. I always hear of people saying this guy is so honoured and lucky to be with this girl, but actually all I want is someone I feel really honoured and lucky to be with, whose family loves and treats me like their own, and who is willing to love me enough to marry me and take care of me and my family, and not end up in false hopes and promises. Of course, I, in turn, will do the same for him and his family.
 
So all I am trying to say is, it is indeed a real blessing to be able to find someone like that to be with. Not everyone is so lucky. For those who are lucky, treasure your other halves, and tell each other how much you love each other everyday. Trouble occurs when you start taking each other for granted, but little words of affirmation, little hugs and kisses everyday do make wonders and do not require much effort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...